icon

lights flicker w/ head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
coolen 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2008 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

Whenever i turn on the head unit for my stereo, it flickers my lights. also, when i'm sitting without the engine running, my dome light will dim itself out once n' a while. i'm thinking ground issues....any thoughts?

thanks

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2008 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
What vehicle?  How was it installed?  What else is in the system?
Support the12volt.com
coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
it is a 95 nissan 4 x 4. there are all LED emergency lighting on the truck, with a fed sig unitrol siren. it's a pioneer deck, which is running 2 10'' subs. MTX amp and cap. the cap and amp are grounded seperatley, but at the same spot.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
With all that extra electronic gear in the car it could be anything.  But most likely it has nothing to do with the head unit (unless the wiring was done incorrectly or there is a loose wire that is shorting out behind the dash.)  Most likely it is your sub amp and you have overloaded the electrical system.  What is your system voltage when you see dimming lights?  Have you upgraded the big 3? 
Support the12volt.com
coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
even without the truck/amp running, if i sit in the driveway, turn the deck on, my interior lights will dim. without anything on- if i turn on my dome light, it will "surge" while it's on. that's why i'm thinking it's a truck side wiring issue. the big 3 is done other than bat neg to chasis.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
the battery negative to chassis is probably THE most important cable you should have changed. its also always the most overlooked as well, for the life of me i cant figure out why though.
DYohn 
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

^^ Agreed with that comment.

Pull the fuse for your sub amp and see if the HU by itself causes voltage fluctuations.  If so, pull it and inspect the wiring installation.  Plus, depending on how old it is, it IS a Pioneer, which is pretty much a disposable brand when they start having problems.

Support the12volt.com
coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

hmmm, maybe i'll swap out my deck. without the engine running, my dome light cuts it's light output in and out. if that makes sense. it will be bright, then dim a bit, then brighten itself up. that shouldn't have anything to do with my alternator should it?

thanks

DYohn 
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

Does the fluctuation follow the music (meaning when it is louder or when there is more bass, the light gets dimmer)?  If so, and the engine is off, then it's simply that the system is too much for your battery.  This is very common, and why I suggested pulling the sub amp fuse to see if it is related to your head unit (as you apparently think) or if it is a simple overload situation.   If it does not follow the music, then you have a bad wiring issue or a defective piece of gear.

Support the12volt.com
coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

No, this is when i'm just sitting in my truck with the radio low, not loud at all. the only issues that i see with my stereo, is when i turn my deck on, that's when the headlights will flicker. but if i'm just sitting in the truck listening to whatever, the light does it's dim, bright, dim......and so on.

thanks

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic