Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:
Look into Sundown, seriously.
Yes, I forgot to add them, good suggestion.
04nata wrote:
TMA, (a JL entry level product) I swear by them
Are they that good? I have heard mixed reviews.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
I just have never had good luck with MMats. Don't expect Technical Assistance from them! Everyone I know has sent amps in for at least one repair. They work for SPL. Their subs are SPL only. Better products out there! Powerbase at the right $$$$ is better than the Audiobahn crap, but not much. I would buy it over newer Hifonics. Mixed reviews also on the TMA, however the JL Slash is always respectable.
The older Crossfire stuff rocked, not sure what the current condition of the brand is. It's hard to ignore the Alpine PDX. Sundown has been making a name for themselves. Planet makes some great products also.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
  Audison
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Reliability is the one issue I have always heard negative about regarding the MMats, so I am glad there was one other person hearing or experiencing the same info. Also, I have to agree - SPL products ONLY. Zero or near zero concept of sound quality.
As far as reliability, I have heard very mixed reviews on the Powerbass gear, right up to and including having one burst into flames and not blow the fuse!
boogeyman wrote:
Audison
Indeed... SPECTACULAR products, though hardly "budget"! best amplifier manufacturers around - Page 2 -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Throwing Planet back into the mix for opinions. I've heard plenty of praise for Planet stuff. The customer service is said to be top notch. Quality and price is also said to be excellent. ZED at one time made amps for them. Has anyone heard good or bad?
arnshrty 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2008 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Quality...Alpine, Xtant
Budget & Quality...MTX, Phoenix Gold
audiocableguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2008 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
2 cents:
Phoenix Gold has now become Rodin.IMO PG fell off after the Ti series. Have seen many DOA amps for sale. At one time, top notch. Never cared for the speakers, even the Ti Elite. We'll see what changes Rodin makes.
Xtant, didn't even know they were still in business! The new speakers cones are real wood and the subs have a leather dust cap. Marketing or Technology? The old amps and subs circa '96 were nice. They have certainly dropped from the main stream. Down but not out?
MTX, just never did it for me. None of the products ever broke out of the "norm" category. Always though the stuff as "Utilitarian": gets the job done with little to no finesse. Not exactly a SQ contender.
Alpine, is hanging on. Always bought the higher end stuff and have been very happy. Same with Eclipse.
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2008 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
     The  Audison SRx series is considered "budget"............Alpine PDX series.......The PDX amps come a dime a dozen used and at a great price.........
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2008 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  

TMA.  Decent amp for the buck at best.  Mono amps perform decent, and the company I worked for, sold a ton of them.  But after we compared to some other 'entry' amps from JBL, PG, Orion Cobalt, and Alpine, they just don't stack up at all.  They held up under intense pressure, but they just didn't sound as good or push the subs as well as the JBL or Alpine.  Yes the Alpine was about 5% more expensive at dealer cost, but the performance difference of MRP's were more than worth the cost increase.  The TMA four channels were a whole other story.  We had more problems with the 4-channels than I have ever seen on amplifiers.  I went through three 320.4's in one day because on every one, as soon as you touched any of the settings, all the speakers would snap, crackle, and pop.  Three of them, Brand new, out of the box, DOA.  When we finally did get one working properly, it sucked harder than an Electrolux.  It sounded terrible.  We sold a few of them and each time we installed a 320.4, we had issues.  When the next gen of the 320.4, the T2 series, same problems. 

The Eclipse line was a dissappointment as well.  Good quality, sounded great, but overpriced for it's performance.

The only amps that really impressed me in all categories, were the A and G series of amplifiers from JL Audio.  My favorite amp, hands down, is the G1700 mono block.  I had one in my vehicle, and demo'd tons of sub boxes.  From entry level, to massive monoliths, this amp performed flawlessly.  I've installed about 50 of these little babies, and my customers, was first were skeptical at the small size, were instantly amazed and excited by it's performance.  It's the first amplifier I've ever dealt with that I felt whole heartedly satisfied and wanted to push my customers to it.  Except the McIntosh line, but it's price is in the stratosphere.

whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
I'm interested in what you guys think about US Amps these days. They used to be a great manufacturer but I have heard many different things lately.
Everyone seems to think their low-end line is pretty much garbage. I'm interested if their higher end stuff is still good or not.
To the last post, I have had a lot of experience with the new Eclipse 4-channel amp and am pretty pleased with the sound. I will defiently agree that for the money it is kind of a disappointment though. It sounds good but not great. For the money I was expecting a little better from Eclipse.
They do look pretty cool though.best amplifier manufacturers around - Page 2 -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic