the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

buying subwoofer, speaker terminology?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

It is impossible for too little power to blow a sub. Period.  Like I said before, low power amps driven into clipping might blow some subs by overpowering them.

We've been over this all before:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~74226~PN~1

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have never blown a speaker from providing it with "too much amplifier". Too much power? Of course, but this is where judicious use of the "level matching control" (i.e. gain control - an inaccurate label, at best) comes into play.
I am running WELL over 600 watts to each door in my car (340+ to the bass (adire Audio 6.8, rated 200 watts RMS), 172w to the mid (Vifa carbon fiber mid, rated 10 watts. Yes, 10 watts!), and 172w to the tweeter (JL Silk domes, rated 80 watts peak)), and I can tell you that I never hear any thought of stress. This is because of the careful tuning I did with the system as I was installing it.
DYohn is right. It takes a long time to be able to hear distress in electronics, and even longer still to be able to discern which device (speaker, amplifier or signal source, in this case) is the offender. Lacking this experience, the link provided by DYohn is a very informative one, and one that should be read thoroughly.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
audiovibe-mike 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Distortion kills subs, if you have less power you will try to turn it up more driving it into distortion and killing your sub.

I run 11,000 watts to 2 5000 watt subs (maximum) and Ive never had a problem!

Gti 15's they are 800 RMS and i feed them 2600 RMS each, with 3 batteries and a 20 Farad cap

never had a problem

Have you ever seen an Acura with them butterfly doors???
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
audiovibe-mike wrote:

Distortion kills subs, if you have less power you will try to turn it up more driving it into distortion and killing your sub.

Gti 15's they are 800 RMS and i feed them 2600 RMS each, with 3 batteries and a 20 Farad cap

never had a problem

audiovibe-mike, im gonna call you on this one. first, if you go back and read DYohn's responses you will see that its NOT distortion that will cause the damage, bur rather heat. second, you are not running that much power through those speakers(no matter how much you believe you are). if you were they would not still be working. now, you may have an amplifier that is rated with more power than the subs you have connected to it are rated, and if that is the case you obviously have it adjusted correctly and do not run more power to them than they are rated at. like i said earlier.....if you did......they would burn up. David, whats your verdict???

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2008 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
Good "call"... I'm with you as well.
audiovibe-mike wrote:
Wrong answer. Power kills subs, not distortion. Read the thread linked to by DYohn...
audiovibe-mike wrote:
Again.. Wrong answer. What you MEANT to say was this: I have 11000 watts of amplifer CAPACITY (shyah, right...) connected to two 5000 watt subs... Not to mention that only 1000 watts more than the drivers are rated for, is less than a 10% RMS overpower situation. I'm FAAAAR less than impressed. Try a 1700% RMS overpower capability, and not blow your driver, THEN come back and brag about never blowing a driver. (See my previous post regarding running a 170 watt amplifier to 10 watt mids...)
audiovibe-mike wrote:
Gti 15's they are 800 RMS and i feed them 2600 RMS each, with 3 batteries and a 20 Farad cap never had a problem
Nope... Another bad call. You CANNOT power ANY driver with more than it's RMS capability in an RMS situation without blowing said driver. Your amplifier may have 2600 watts ON TAP (another "shyah, right" fits here...), but you are never feeding more than 800 watts continuous to the woofer... The laws of physics dictate this to be true. If you belive that the laws of physics cease to exist in your trunk, or if you think your amp makes that much power, and you really believe that you are cranking your amp, connected to 800 watt woofers, and you are not blowing those woofers, you need to do a bit more research into what a quality amplifer can actually do.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
agreed ham...11,000 watts and ONLY three batteries??? that cap isn't doing squat either...Unless you have dual 250-300 amp alternators you can't charge squat with the system turned on.
audiovibe-mike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

Its number 4 acura 99 3.2tl on cardomain check it out. silver with lambo doors.

If your saying that my amps dont produce those amounts of power i agree, like i said its no crown. but thats what the ratings are. I have lots of pics and trophys. I run the two amps strapped at 1.5ohms, for 11,000 watts. max. in a perfect world i know, but those are the ratings.  I dont see why you have such a hard time believing it.

The proof is in the pics. 

p.s. i am new here and dont wanna stir doodie up, if you know what i mean. Ive been installing for 4 years, im 22. i know im not an expert or nearly as knowledgeable as some of you guys, but i joined cuz i love cars and 12 volts :)

audiovibe-mike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2984412 there it is.

hey guys can i edit posts on here or no?  thanks.

haemphyst 
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
When you get to 100 posts - "standard" member.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  

The proof is in the pics. 

I like that...... it's like believing everything you read....

Your car "looks" good!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic