buying subwoofer, speaker terminology?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
lol "max watts"...still noob status
you are probably getting 2000 watts rms out of those amps.   No where near 11,000 watts.
Around here the regulars are actually pretty knowledgeable...max/peak watts mean nothing my friend...so if you want to flaunt how much power you have on tap talk real wattage.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

Your Power Acoustik amps are rated at 1700 watts, and that is a stretch.  The amp contains 5 X 30-amp fuses, right?  That allows it to draw a max of 150 amps.  Assuming you have the alternator capacity to maintain 14.4 volts, @ 150 amps that is equivalent to 2160 watts.  Since the amp is class A/B, that makes it no more than 60% efficient, which means it could theoretically output 1296 watts.  Strap two together and you double that.  And since it's Power Acoustik, it's probably at about 15% distortion.

Just keeping it real.  Do you have the electrical system required to supply 300 amps at 14.4 volts?  Batteries alone won't cut it.

Support the12volt.com
audiovibe-mike 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

Ive run the same subs with a shredder. Is that real watts. Never had a problem then either.

anyways i'm not gonna drag this on. thanks for the replies I learn something every day on here.

Have you ever seen an Acura with them butterfly doors???
audiovibe-mike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

Power Acoustik rates it 1700 at 4, 2500 at 2 and 3200 at 1, thats where i got my figures from. ya i know there all way over rated but the only thing i see that says 1700 is at 4ohms. and it says right here its a d class. they have an a/b class with the same shroud but not the one i have. i know comparing P.A. to say a JBL or what have you is like comparing an apple to an orange, but i was only stating the ratings on the box. also im not trying to "flaunt my power". i was just tryin to post on the topic with a real world example. again not trying to be a dick or whatever

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
OK, my mistake.  If it's a Class D, then it might be up to 80% efficient, which means 1728 watts @ 14.4V X 150A.  That would be with ANY loading, and right before the amp fuses blew.  That is a real world example for ya.  So how are you powering those bad boys?
Support the12volt.com
audiovibe-mike 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

Jus with what i said. the last comp i was in they wouldn't even let me turn my car on. I only had 1 amp then tho.

honestly this car is driven like 3 months out of the year, maybe 4 if the canadian weather is good.

Listen I know you guys are right about alot of this doodie, like i said im no expert. Ive been installing for 4 years, after 6 months i was running the shop by myself, (the owner has another job). no one to help me with anything, everything ive learned has  been me, by myself in a garage. oh the owners here on saturdays and holidays but thats it.  When i have a problem I have to figure it out by myself, ( tech lines are fun, internet is helpful)

so i totally respect all of your opinions and just look forward to being a part of the community.

and i know it is a stretch to say my batteries are all charging properly, but if i take even one out its a night and day difference.

again thanks for all responses, good and bad

p.s if i could i would put another shredder in (phd2) but they are hard to find nowadays, and mine was stolen.

i loved that amp,

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
sorry if I came off offensive in any way...I'm not bashing you or anything...the PA amps that I love are the older PS-520 and PS-820...very reliable amps.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic