icon

no remote start below 40 degrees f

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kcbim77 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
06 Pilot with Viper 560xv. Had it installed by viper authorized shop 2 years ago but out of business now. Having trouble with the remote start on this unit. It just does not start when temp is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.Is anyone else experiencing this problem with their viper or for that matter any brand remote start unit? Called "DEI"tech support and they want me to pull the brain and return it to them with the remotes. I really don't want to go that route.Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
kc
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Does it crank and not start?  Or no crank at all?

What immobilizer bypass did they use?  If it's a key-in-box universal one, I have heard of problems with those working in extremely low temps.  That would be much colder than the 40 deg you're having problems at.  But it's worth a shot, if it's cranking and not starting when cold try sticking your key in the ignition and using the remote starter to start it.

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
kcbim77 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2008 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the feedback Hornshockey,
Yes it does crank but does not start when temp drops below 40.
The installer used a box with spare key for the transponder.
Funny thing though, it remote starts anytime with no problems as long as the temp doesn't fall below 40.
If it is less than 4 hours between starts, remote start will work. But more than 4 hours of the car sitting,it doesn't remote start.
I'll try your suggestion when it's cold enough and let you know how it goes.
kc
Chevyz71man 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
Best thing to do is bring back to the installer and tell him what your problem is. What thy should do is remove the pill in the key. Then place it and a resistor taped to it in the box. Using 12v constant and the ground from the starting of the remote start sequence to warm the pill. Might not start first try because it might not be warm enough but second time it probably will. Somewhere around 1.2k ohms and handle a 1/4 watt will do the job. Any radio shack would have them.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
kcb, do you have any idea of the make and model of the Key-in Bypass box.  An installer that works with me is having the same exact problem.  He is planning to take it out so we can figure it out. 
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

The first thing to do is check the ring around the key switch. Make sure it is tight against the factory coil and as far to the key slot as possible. A loose ring will make it not start at lower temps....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
kcbim77 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hornshockey:Thanks for the suggestion,IT WORKED... so when I go to the car,put the key in the ignition but not turn it to crank the engine, it will start using the remote starter option. Then I can pull the key out and let it warm up. So I'm guessing the key needs to be changed in the box.Or find a way to warm that key as Chevy said.
IDIOT:I know the original installer used a honda key which I supplied for the install.
Let me pull that key and check the condition of it and I'll let you folks know.
Thanks to the other folks who also posted I'll keep those suggestions in mind...Chevy and Mike.
kc
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
I was wanting to know the brand of the bypass box that the key was inserted into.  You do not need to pull it out to find out.  I am going to try the ring around the ignition switch as Mike suggested.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2008 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Left field I know but how about adjusting tach sense setting or a delay between ign and start?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2008 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

kcbim77 wrote:
Hornshockey:Thanks for the suggestion,IT WORKED... so when I go to the car,put the key in the ignition but not turn it to crank the engine, it will start using the remote starter option. Then I can pull the key out and let it warm up. So I'm guessing the key needs to be changed in the box.Or find a way to warm that key as Chevy said.
IDIOT:I know the original installer used a honda key which I supplied for the install.
Let me pull that key and check the condition of it and I'll let you folks know.
Thanks to the other folks who also posted I'll keep those suggestions in mind...Chevy and Mike.

This confirms the ring around the cylinder is not adjusted correctly!!!!! By placing the key in the ignition you know the RS works but it isn't reading the key in the box. You know the key in the box is programmed because it works sometimes. Remove the shroud around the key cylinder and tighten up that ring!!!

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic