power needed for amplifiers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ping7464 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2008 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

I have a serious problem.

I have 2 XT 4000D US AMPS and did not research them before purchase. This line needs 18 Volts to perform properly.

Right now I have them on capacitors and well that's only 14.4 volts max I am getting to them

Can anyone help me please.

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
you need more batteries to say the least. but you should get all of your electrical sys redone if you want to run both those amps. cant run 8000w on a stock system.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
p.s. and you really dont need all that power on those SX 15s. just one will do just fine. i have an 18 but im only running 2000w to it and it sounds just lovely
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
Your amps DO NOT require 18 volts to operate.  They will make more power at 18 volts but with that comes more power and more heat.  Parts running nearer their electrical limits are much more likely to fail.  Upgrade your alternator and the Big 3 and supply the amp with as much current as you can get to it. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

... and, you do not need more batteries.  Unless you plan to run the system with the engine off for extended periods of time, more batteries are not the answer.  Alt and Big 3 upgrade is (as stated above.)

Support the12volt.com
wishuponansg 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2008 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
im pretty sure that amp RMS's at 1500 watts (1 ohm.)
ping7464 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2008 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  

Yes the amp is 1500 RMS @ 1 ohm, but you only get the 1500 RMS @ 18 V.

Anyway, if this is so, about how much power will I get if I feed the amps 16 V.......................... I noticed that there are alot of 16 V battery / caps on the market now.

That is the closest solution that I have come up with.

I know that I will surely need to change my alt before this upgrade though.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2008 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
It is very impractical to run 16 volts worth of battery to power your amps.  These battery and cap solutions are only for competition use.  You have to charge them with an external power source.  You play the amp and the battery begins to go down, when it gets down you have to externally charge it again.  Have you installed the amp yet?  If your car puts out 250 horsepower, do you have to get 250 horsepower out of it to be happy?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2008 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
ping7464 wrote:
I have 2 XT 4000D US AMPS and did not research them before purchase. This line needs 18 Volts to perform properly.
This is incorrect. They will perform PROPERLY with 14.4 volts, if they dont make EVERY watt they are capable of making, when supplied with a higher voltage.
In order to run them with 18V, you have to run two independant and COMPLETELY ISOLATED power systems in your car - one 12 volt system for the car, and one 18 volt system for the amplifiers. Have fun with that!
Additionally, even IF you could power them with the acceptable and allowed 18 volts, the difference in power output is unlikely to even be noticeable in sheer SPL. IF you are a competitor, it could make a difference between winning and going home first loser, but if not, to put that much money out, to power them with 18 volts... Ridiculous amounts of cash, man.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic