icon

competition box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robertn361 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'm currently trying to build a competition box for a friend of mine. The only material that I have available to build the box is plywood. I have already assembled the box and everything. The sound that is coming out does not sound as good as it did when each 12" was in it's own speaker box. I still have to seal the inside of the box and everything, could this be why it does not sound the way it is supposed to? Also does anyone no of a place where I can find competition box plans? I'm not even sure if it is a competition box.
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I just found out that to build a box to sound correct, I have to have the proper measurements and such. I thought that I could just cut pieces and make everything flush and stuff. Does anyone know where I could find the calculation to build this box?
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
robertn361 wrote:
I just found out that to build a box to sound correct, I have to have the proper measurements and such. I thought that I could just cut pieces and make everything flush and stuff. Does anyone know where I could find the calculation to build this box?
What subs are you making an enclosure for? So you are trying to make the enclosure for competitions or for a daily driver? There is a big difference in the design and overall sound of the enclosure.
Plywood is not going to be the best material to use. If you want to make a really good enclosure get yourself some 3/4" MDF. It is fairly cheap at around $20-25 for a 4'x8' sheet. It will sound much better then an enclosure made out of plywood will.
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2008 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
whiterob wrote:
What subs are you making an enclosure for? So you are trying to make the enclosure for competitions or for a daily driver? There is a big difference in the design and overall sound of the enclosure.
Plywood is not going to be the best material to use. If you want to make a really good enclosure get yourself some 3/4" MDF. It is fairly cheap at around $20-25 for a 4'x8' sheet. It will sound much better then an enclosure made out of plywood will.
It will be for a daily driver. I have been told that this type of box is a competition box. It is for 2 12" subs they are two different brands, which I told him it's better to have the same brand of speakers. He has already purchased the plywood, I'm not sure if he would want to go buy MDF.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
speaker enclosure design is just not cut/build to fit...it is a science
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2008 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
robertn361 wrote:
It will be for a daily driver. I have been told that this type of box is a competition box. It is for 2 12" subs they are two different brands, which I told him it's better to have the same brand of speakers. He has already purchased the plywood, I'm not sure if he would want to go buy MDF.
There isn't really anything different about an enclosure made for competition and a regular enclosure. The design is different but basically I'm trying to say that there isn't a certain type of enclosure that is made for competition. When you say you want plans for a competition box there isn't really anything we can give you.
The only difference between an enclosure used in competition and one used for a daily driver is the design of the enclosure. A daily driver will be designed to sound good at a wide range of frequencies. A competition enclosure will likely be made to be very efficient in a small range of frequencies. This will allow you to have a very loud sound in that small range of frequencies. This sound will almost always be bad for regular music. It will be made only to play tones.
There are many things that are not ideal for your friends setup. First, it sounds like your enclosure is just cut and put together without much or any thought of design around the subwoofers you have. Like aznboi said, enclosure building is a science, not something you just put together and expect to sound good.
One more thing your friend has going against him is the fact he is using two seperate subs. This is almost always going to give you bad sound. While it can be loud it will not usually sound good.
The last thing is that you used plywood in the construction. Plywood is not an ideal material by any means. It will greatly reduce the output of your subs and can give you a wierd sound at times. You want an enclosure that doesn't flex and is audibly neutral.
If you want to do this system right there are a couple of suggestions I have. First, only use one sub. You will gain a lot of clarity in your system and could even have a louder system. Having two subs is a 6 db increase at the most (if you double the cone area you gain 3db and if you double the power of your system you gain 3db). So you are not going to hardly notice having one sub over two. One sub in a proper system will sound better/be louder then two subs in an inproper system.
Second, design the enclosure around the specific subwoofer you have. Each sub is going to need a different enclosure. You need to have your enclosure designed to fit your sub in order to reach the optimal performance.
Lastly, tell your friend to buy 3/4" MDF and read the sticky for how to build a proper enclosure. If your friend doesn't want to do this then that is his choice. If you wants a good system and one that will actually sound good then this is what needs to be done.
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
if he wants things done properly, then he should go and buy the MDF, but its also heavy as hell, im a big guy and i can just barely lug a sheet of this stuff around.
I dont think your box is a "competition" box at all, its just a dual speaker box, probably isobaric loading. I could be wrong, but i dont think there any kind of specific competition boxes.
and as mentioned above, if you want the good sound, then you will build the box properly.
Check the specs on the speakers, it should provide the T/S params. you can use those to design the box and the kind of sound it will produce.
there are a few programs, bassbox pro is nice, winISD also is decent, but isnt my prefered program.
aznboi3644 
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like your "competition box" is a big sealed enclosure...no where near a high output enclosure
Custom Enclosure Design
robertn361 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
sounds like your "competition box" is a big sealed enclosure...no where near a high output enclosure
Yea after researching and the response from everyone on this forum, I have found out that the guy that told me that the box design was a competition box actually had no idea wth he was talking about. I have one more question:
I had purchased two 12s (600w each) in a box, with a fiberglass front. The box also has 4 holes(ports I'm assuming) I also bought an amp which was a 1000w, I know this is not enough to push the 2 12s to their full capacity. When I first installed the system it sounds great, then one of my friends that works at a audio place said that it didn't sound right. He messed with the amp for a little while and now the system sounds like crap. I have tried the settings on the amp and everything, I just cannot get it to sound the same as it used to. Any ideas on what I can do to fix it or to what he did?
If I need to I will take and post a pic of the box. Thanks for all your help.
aznboi3644 
Posted: December 04, 2008 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
this would all work a lot better if we knew what you are working with
Custom Enclosure Design
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic