icon

Fog Light Flash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bhawkins 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have put some aftermarket fog lights on my car and would like them to flash when I actvate my alarm which is a alpine 150R. I have read the install manual and connected it to the surveillance output which supplies -200ma  I then used a 30 amp automotive relay and connected the 85 pin a unswitched 12 volt line to 86 and 87 and then the fog light wire. But when I actvate the alarm the lights don't flash. I also tried to tap the dome light surveillance which supplies -200ma to a relay, it worked but when I unplugged the lights and plugged it back in it smoked the 20 amp fuse to the alarm. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2003 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

I cant fully understand how you have it wired so heres how it goes, check it to what you have.

87 - to fog lights 12vlt input

85 - 200ma output          87a  N/c    86 - 12vlts constant

30 - 12 vlt constant

Now this would be if you just have a switch on your dash that send out 12vlts to your lights to turn on, if it sends out a ground to power a realy you can just take your 200ma ground output and tie it right in. If you have an extra channel on your alarm it works well to wire it to your lights and turn on latched ingition reset. You turn them on by remote and then they'll shut off when you turn your car off. Let  us know how it goes

bhawkins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am still having problems the lights dont flash with that purple arming output like alpine says it should. Anybody know if there is something you have to set on the alarm? My other idea is to use the parking light +10 volt output that already flashes my lights when I turn my alarm on and off. But if I tap that line my fog lamps would come on with my parking lights which I don't want. I have thought to use a diode but I do not know which one to use or how to wire it in to the relay. Any ideas about the Diode to use and where to get one?

Thanks

bhawkins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am guessing that my output is a very quick and the relay is to slow to detect the pulse without using a latching relay is there any thing i can use to make the -200ma output to last any longer or should i give up and tap into the dome light surveillance output and hope that i do not blow another fuse again. Please any ideas.

Thanks

floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
How about this?Fog Light Flash - Last Post -- posted image.
bhawkins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thank You I will try that.
Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
yea i was gonna say whats wrong with putting a relay on the parking lights wire?
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
I actually perfer putting them in. I hooked up the domelight with the internal relay in my excailbur and it melted the connector at the brain!
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2003 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
This is all fine and dandy but.........flashing your fog lights will decrease bulb life dramatically. Could be an expensive habit...worse than crack IMHO.
Cheers, Mel
bhawkins 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you all for your responces the foglights are made by pilot and they have a built in city light bulb that are made to be plugged into the parking lights.

Thank you everyone!!!! Fog Light Flash - Last Post -- posted image.

Brian

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic