icon

momentary switch wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ajan246 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
Hey I'm looking for some help with a momentary switch. I added actuators to my truck and everything works great, I'm just trying to add a switch so that I can lock and unlock the doors from the inside of the truck when the keys are in the ignition. Here are some images of the switch. I'm not sure what all the terminals are for, I was expecting a 3 terminal switch for maybe ground, lock pulse and unlock pulse.... Any help? it's a 12v momentary switch i picked up from a local electronics store.
just an FYI its a 96 Nissan D21 Hardbody. DEI Actuators and an ASTRA 600 alarm.
momentary switch wiring -- posted image.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 3:54 AM / IP Logged  
Is it lighted?
My first instinct would be that when the switch is pushed the two outer pins on the side being pushed are connected. The middle, I am not totally sure about, but it would be a good place to connect for a light.
Time to break out the DMM.
ajan246 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 4:57 AM / IP Logged  
what would be the easiest way to test with the DMM? I wouldn't be sure what I'm testing for. Continuity through the outer pins?
ajan246 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM / IP Logged  
Here is an updated. I tested for continuity when the switch was pressed and heres what I got.
(Sorry i'm at work and all I have is paint :-) )
My next question is what will the wiring look like on an after market actuator 2 wire system. Will it simply be ground and (+) lock pulse, and then ground (-) unlock pulse? And if that's the case what is the unused terminal on the switch for? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
ajan246 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
bah! I made a mistake in my diagram. Made this one a little bit clearer! Sorry for my mistake!
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

You should use this switch to drive the relays that drive the actuators.  If your alarm has built in relays you can either add external relays (in a 5 wire config) or you can possibly open the unit up and solder wires on to the (-) side of the relay coils inside the alarm brain. 

You would connect the middle pin to ground and then use the outer pins to trigger the respective relay.

Kevin Pierson
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
The 2 unused terminals are probably lighting. 
ajan246 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2008 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
no lighting on this bad boy. I opened up the switch and the two terminals do nothing. Not sure why they're there...
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  
Right;  switch is a Spal* type 5 wire window lifter switch rated at 20 amps. First comment; if you have existing relays to control your locks, wire centre terminal to ground and one outer to lock, other to unlock.  Actually just re-read your post and from your description that's what you have. so one outer terminal will pulse lock, the other outer unlock. That's assuming your pulse (switching) wires are neg going, if pos, just feed 12v+ at 3amps to the switch. For everyone's edification, that switch may also control locks without relays, then looking at the photos, left terminal motor wire one way, 2nd left ground, centre 12v+ , next ground and outer right motor wire other way. This gives you the classic ground at rest as used by most window motors and locking solenoids. N.B. For illumination, later versions of that switch had a 6th. terminal. * Also used as factory switches on Renaults, Fiat/Alfa Romeos and most aftermarket power window kits.
ajan246 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2008 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
you da man! I'll try to wire it up next weekend. Thanks everyone! I'll post an update after I try it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic