icon

Post Your Ultimate Remote Start Tips, Tricks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Looking for some remote start install tips / tricks / how to's.. One I learned recently from a thread here (that most probably already know) is how to test a tach wire.. I usually use the remote start brain and put it in tach finding mode but using a DMM to find it is MUCH easier..
How to test a tach wire using a DMM - To test your tach wire with a DMM you need to set your meter to Volts AC. Then ground the negative probe.... and hook your positive probe to the suspect wire. If you read between 1 and 7 volts AC then you have the correct wire and continue with the tach learning to get it done.
How to test the factory disarm / arm wires using a DMM - Using your volt meter, connect red to 12v and black to the the suspect disarm and arm wires you want to test. With the key in the door cylinder, turn the key to unlock the doors. This wire will go to NEGATIVE (-) and the volt meter should say 11-12.4 v DC. it will tell you what wire is the proper disarm and arm wires. (I pulled this from a thread as well.. Not sure if this is a universal test or vehicle specific.)
How to test if a vehicle has a factory alarm - Open a window. Close trunk, hood, and doors. Lock doors with factory remote. Wait 30 seconds minimum. Reach inside the window, unlock the door with your hand (as if you were breaking into the car), open the door, and see if there's an alarm or not.
Anyone else??
lanman31337 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Always test wires, even if you have a wiring diagram.

You can almost always get a tach signal from the odd-color injector wire.

tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
lanman31337 wrote:

Always test wires, even if you have a wiring diagram.

You can almost always get a tach signal from the odd-color injector wire.

It's where I usually grab it.. Sometimes I have a hard time accessing or even finding the injectors!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

1) always test wires

2) if you are too lazy to solder the wires, at least solder the tach wire.
3) make sure the unit is tucked away and wires are hidden or made to look factory
4) when wrapping with electrical tape, dont tear the tape, this causes the tape ends to peel when the weather changes. OR use 3M Scotch 33+
5) i mentoned in your honda fit thread about factory disarm and arm. not all systems are negative trigger.
6) if installing a remote start on manual car. no matter what GET A MANUAL SAFE starter or auto with DEI 689m VSS unit.
7) when placing knee kick and panels back. test to see if the buttons and things still work. Sometimes you forget to plug things back in!
8) Roll down passenger side window and leave keys on a bench or table.
9) replace the fuse from the alarm or rs with a fuse that is equal or less than what the wire is rated on the car. example if the original 12v line allows up to 20amps max, and the rs unit has 30amps, replace the 30 with 20 amps or less.

10) uhh, ill think of something and add it to number 10 :)

sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
1. Always Use wire loom on wires running into the engine compartment.
2. Always use grommets when going through a fire wall.
3. Always route the Tach wire away from any moving parts or anything that gets hot. A grounded out tach wire will ruin the customers day and cost you a tow bill.
4.Always put the hood/trunk pin on the inside of the hood/trunk lid gasket and never cut the gasket it will cause leaks. This also keeps the pin from rusting out and causing a return.
5. Scotch locks are evil
6. If it doesn't work right the first time start over from scratch its allot easier than trying to find your mistake.(Its usually faster too)
7. Always use care when removing trim panels and use the proper tools. No customer likes marks from hook tools or broken trim panels.
8. Keep bandaids in your tool box you will probe your fingers on more than one occasion.
9. Invest in a logic probe they are gods gift to installers.
10. If it came off the car it goes back on the car (no spare parts)
11. This grants mentioning again ALWAYS ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW locking the keys in the customers car is an embarrassing mistake.
12. Get at least one slimjim incase someone forgets rule 11.
13. Something I like to do is vacuum the car when I am done
14. Finally play with the install and make sure it works like its supposed to. Its no fun to deliver a car and find out the remote start doesn't work. Or the alarm doesn't go off when you open the doors.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

When testing tach wires use a DMM that will read frequency - its much more accurate then using the AC setting and you can actually tie the reading to RPM with a little math.  Also, don't forget to rev the motor to make sure the reading goes up.

Even if you don't think the car has an OEM alarm make sure you arm the alarm, wait a few mintues, then remote start it.  That one car that actually does have an OEM alarm will really upset you when it comes back.

Always hook up the tach wire.  Always.  Every time.

Kevin Pierson
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
never use the 12v wires in the ignition harness to power the main 10ga power input wires on the remote start or relay satelite. if your unit has 2 12v inputs run 2 10ga wires under the hood and directly to the battery and fuse them. if your unit has 3 12v inputs, run 3 wires to the battery. use the power wires in the ignition harness for the smaller 18ga 12v input wire on the unit, bypasses, relays or any other goodies you need to power.
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
never use the 12v wires in the ignition harness to power the main 10ga power input wires on the remote start or relay satelite. if your unit has 2 12v inputs run 2 10ga wires under the hood and directly to the battery and fuse them. if your unit has 3 12v inputs, run 3 wires to the battery. use the power wires in the ignition harness for the smaller 18ga 12v input wire on the unit, bypasses, relays or any other goodies you need to power.

Wow! Really? Does everyone do this? I have a friend who is an ASE Certified tech / mechanic who has done hundreds of remote start installs and he always ties in the 12V line of the remote start to the 12v line of the ignition harness.. Being I learned off him I've done all mine like that too..

tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

sneakycyber wrote:
9. Invest in a logic probe they are gods gift to installers.

What is a logic probe and what do you use it for? If you give it that high of praise (gods gift) then I must be missing out!!

Thanks!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2008 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
i always use power at the ignition harness as well. no problems for me. if you decide to run wires to the battery, then it doesnt really serve a purpose for alarms now since theives canjust cut the power wire. Think about it. the 12vline at the ignition harness can draw enough current to start the starter solenoid which is loads of amps. so im sure using that 12vline is sufficiant. plus it loosk cleaner and easier for the installer
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic