icon

viper 5301, anyone?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  
One question the hangs for me is: Why did they connect the tach and not use it on the initial install. It's possible that they didn't and, in the course of hooking up the tach on your visit, they may have damaged something accidentally and only stated they change a menu option.
dued 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  
loneranger wrote:
One question the hangs for me is: Why did they connect the tach and not use it on the initial install. It's possible that they didn't and, in the course of hooking up the tach on your visit, they may have damaged something accidentally and only stated they change a menu option.
they connected the tach wire on the initial install, but apparently didn't program it then specifically to actual tach, instead (for some reason) they let it default to "virtual tach" (which is the default, and i understand, the preferred setting)
when it would stay started though, i took it in for the second time to a different installation location (in a different city), where they stated they simply re-programmed it from virtual tach to actual tach, and that the tach wire was already attached from the initial installation - but it was while driving it immediately after that second visit where they just reprogrammed it (and not after the initial install a week earlier) that the dimmer switch burned out- and with it, the panel lights went blacked out (though as i said, the panel lights do go on briefly whenever the 5301 is started, so they are obviously getting current flow from some temporary alternate circuit associated with the 5301 install)
dued 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
i meant to say
"when it would NOT stay started though, i took it in for the second time..."
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

with your dimmer switch blown which lights illuminate when you remote start the vehicle

dash , parking or both?

dued 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
robertsc wrote:

with your dimmer switch blown which lights illuminate when you remote start the vehicle

dash , parking or both?

the dash lights for sure - i'll have to check and see if the parking lights do as well
gunn1 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

loneranger wrote:
gunn1, I have the 5301 sitting in front of me. However, I'm leaning towards the 5501, as it has a 1-mile range. If you need any info on the 5301 just ask. Also, let me know how the range is, if you get it installed in the next few days.

Thanks guys. I did indeed purchase the Viper 5301 (Christmas Present for my wife), and am going to order the XK531 today. I started an Excel spreadsheet to map out all of the connections between the Viper, XK531 and Jeep. I'd like to use the D2D cable, as I'll only have to hook up one other wire to the Viper and a wire to the OBDII port, keeping it simple and clean.

Anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase the XK531 and the D2D cable? I can't recall if the D2D came with my 5301, and I'm not at home right now to check.

Thanks,

Tom

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
any dealer who sells the XK modules will likely stock the D2D cable...it does not come with the XK series modules....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
dued 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
as a platinum certified installer, do you have any thoughts on my experiences (above) with the 5301 kerry?
thx
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

gunn1 wrote:
I can't recall if the D2D came with my 5301, and I'm not at home right now to check.

It does not. You will have to purchase it either seperately or as a kit with your module.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
the 5301 has a fuse docked internally that would need to have been physically relocated in order for the parking light output to suddenly change from positive to negative or vice versa.... this is not something that can be done via programming....   changing a menu item from virtual tach to tach cannot in any way effect the parking light circuit....unless the wire is now pinched or shorted in the vehicle... which should have theoretically blown the docked 10 amp fuse.....   i would have the install rechecked....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic