the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

clif designs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
netsurfer09 wrote:

Ok, any thoughts on the Eclipse xa 1000 sub amp? Picked that one up for $100 plus shipping.

Excellent choice.  Pay attention to the impedance specs.

Support the12volt.com
netsurfer09 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
netsurfer09 wrote:

Ok, any thoughts on the Eclipse xa 1000 sub amp? Picked that one up for $100 plus shipping.

Excellent choice.  Pay attention to the impedance specs.

Well, it's supposed to put out 480 watts into 2 ohms. I plan on wiring the 4 ohm polks in parallel sending 240 watts to each one for a 2 ohm load.

Judging from the feedback on the Clif amp, I'm better off using my old school Precision Power AP200. As soon as it gets here it's going right back to where it came from.

DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2008 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

netsurfer09 wrote:
Judging from the feedback on the Clif amp, I'm better off using my old school Precision Power AP200.

That would be a good assumption.  The Eclipse X-series amps do not seem to like anything lower than 2-ohms.

Support the12volt.com
netsurfer09 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2008 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

On second thought, I think I'll stick with the Clif amp. I have a feeling that it will do the job. All I need it to do is be an adequate, decent sounding amp. If it breaks I have a 2 year warranty to fall back on. .

netsurfer09 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
build quality. stats mean nothing if you amp only lasts a week. i have the same gripe with anything made by jensen

Clif isn't made by Jensen and the amp comes with a 2 year warranty. 

netsurfer09 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Cliff Designs is made by the Anaba Group, AKA the Mobile Authority folks and is their lower line below MA Audio.  Their specs are lies, falsehoods and exaggerations, their build quality is below Cracker Jacks prize level, and they sound like the ass of Godzilla after a hearty romp through Ensenada.  Other than that, they really are not worth anything you might have to pay for them.  Visonik, Ultra Linear and Rockbox are their other, equally quality-laden brands.

This Clif amp is CEA-2006 compliant for rated power. Does that actually mean anything? Also, have you actually heard this particular amp? And why do people seem to get angry at the mere mention of this manufacturer? Perhaps many of you have very expensive, high-end systems and turn your nose up at basic, entry-level gear.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  

Why do you ask for advice, get the advice, then think Dyohn is lieing to you? If he says it's junk it's junk. He was building systems when you were still crappin yellow. So go ahead and buy it. don't waste peoples time asking question you think you know the anwser to.

Big Dave
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
netsurfer09 wrote:

soundnsecurity wrote:
build quality. stats mean nothing if you amp only lasts a week. i have the same gripe with anything made by jensen

Clif isn't made by Jensen and the amp comes with a 2 year warranty. 

oh, i didn't mean it to sound like that. i know jensen doesn't make clif, i just put them in the same category, sorry for the confusion. ive installed MANY MANY MANY jensens, their amps are ok.....if you like to gamble because they cant take too much of abuse
mcben789 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
For my first system i had two low price Boss amps. They are not good and their power specs are exaggerated, but it sounded fine to me. That's why they make cheap stuff-for people without a lot of money. I for one can't afford PDX and Mcintosh and whatnot. To me (regular music listener) those Boss amps didn't blow up and completely ruin my system. They did the job. Buy the damn Clif Designs amp if you don't have alot of cash to blow. If you want to save up for a ridiculously priced amp go for it. I honestly can't tell that big a difference.
Or you could buy a used nicer brand amp. But i'm sure you'll be satisfied with this "crap" amp that "sucks". The amp will probably be okay. If it's not send it back. Lesson learned. Everything is about name brand these days. Even car audio.
Sasquatch...
We know your legend's real...
DYohn 
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
I just hate to see people waste their money.  But hey, it's your money, buy what you want.  Enjoy.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic