the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

has anyone seen a hood switch like this?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
c3uo 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

My 2008 MDX had a car starter installed before I bought it.  I am now trying to get it running (I bought the vehicle used and have no warranty on the starter).

Everything looks good under the dash, except the hood trigger looks funny to me.  The wire goes throught the fire wall and attaches to a stub under the hood.  See attached photo. Has anyone ever seen something like this.  How does it work?

Thanks.

has anyone seen a hood switch like this? - Last Post -- posted image.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
looks like a tilt switch of some sort
dtk1 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
mercury switch? its mos like likely is there not that good if you park on a hill or perhaps a parking lot then your remote start will not work
c3uo 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

When my wife get's back I'll look again.  It must be a tilt switch (instead of pin switch), either roller ball or mercury.

Thanks

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
It is a roller ball tilt switch. We used to carry them, very reliable but adjustment is critical....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
gquinn69 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ball switch just make sure it is tilted down a little more if you park on hills of any type or you will get false triggers
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

With today's alarm technology, I really don't think you have to worry about any false alarms with this sensor.  If you are parked on a steep enough hill for the sensor to see ground, the alarm should notify you of an open zone.  If it is not open at arm, and it is not parked sideways on a narrow Seaborne vessel, it should not false.  The sensor is probably more important for the remote start unit.  If the hood is open and a mechanic is under the hood, it is there to not allow the vehicle to start and take a finger off.  

You asked how it works, there is a ball that rolls from the tip of the nipple to the back of the device when the hood is opened.  On the back of the unit is also the contact that the wire is connected to.  When the ball rolls to the back, it shorts the wire to the chassis of the device.  This applies ground to the wire. 

dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Why would they put a tilt switch underneath the hood in the first place. I would pull it. You don't need a hoodswitch anyways.
"dont ground out!"
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2008 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
dswift wrote:
Why would they put a tilt switch underneath the hood in the first place. I would pull it. You don't need a hoodswitch anyways.
are you serious? this is why:
i am an idiot wrote:
The sensor is probably more important for the remote start unit. If the hood is open and a mechanic is under the hood, it is there to not allow the vehicle to start and take a finger off.
many remote starters can automatically attempt to start if the battery is disconnected/reconnected. so the pinswitch is there to avoid that. leave the pinswitch in place
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2008 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
+1 here. cant agree more with another kelly.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic