icon

wiring setup thoughts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01sesedan 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Here's what I have so far. Need to know from you guys if this is correct.
Alpine MRP-M850: 800w rms x 1 at 2 ohms Fuse: 3 x 25A
Kicker S10L5: 450w rms 2ohm
Soundsteam: 4.480 4 x 60W @ 4 ohms Fuse: 2 x 20A
Wire: 1/0 welding cable
Fuse: 150 Amp main by battery
This is how I have it but wanted to get confirmation from you guys.
The fuse is about 6" from the battery. 1/0 cable runs to the rear, to a distribution block, no fuses here. Then 4ga to each amp.
Gound is also 1/0 to distribution and 4ga to amps.
I've been told by different shops that fuses at the distribution block is not needed. The fuses on the amps is enough.
What's you take on this, I've heard so much, not sure what's correct. I've had this setup for a couple of month and no problems so far.
Do you think the amp is the correct match for the subs?
Thanks...
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2008 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

The fuses on the dist. block really depends on how long your wire run from the block to the amp is.  The 4ga wire is not rated to handle the 150A that the 1/0 wire is, so if you had a short between the dist. block and the amp, you've got the possiblility of catastrophe.   The fuses on the amp do nothing to protect the wire. 

I'd personally feel much better spending $30 or so on a good fused dist. block and not having to worry about that sort of thing. 

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
01sesedan 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2008 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your input...
The distance from the distribution block to the first amp is about 18". The second amp is about 36".
The current distribution block its 1/0 in and 8ga out, I'll have to find another one that takes 4ga.
What fuse would you put to each amp?
Thanks...
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2008 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

I would use a max of 80A to each amp.  You can use a lower rated fuse for your 4ch amp since it's not going to draw more than 40A.

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 26, 2008 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

I too would feel better with a fused distribution block.  However, your current setup isn't too bad because you only have a 150A fuse up front.  A direct short would blow the 150A fuse way before the 8ga wire heated up enough to catch fire.  The only safety issue you have now is if for some reason the 8ga wire started to pull 125A for a long period of time.  This is very unlikely in a car environment - a typical issue is a direct short to ground.

The bigger the fuse up front the more of a safety issue you have by not fusing the smaller wires in the back.  Some people would say you need a 350A fuse up front because that's the max the wire can handle.  If you put a 350A fuse in there you would have a huge problem with the unfused 8ga.

I always liked having a fused distribution block that used the glass fuses.  They are cheap and if you have to work on an amp or something and you accidently short something out and blow a fuse the glass fuses are much cheaper and easier to replace then a name brand wafer fuse under the hood.  It also makes it easier to pull fuses so you don't short anything out.

Kevin Pierson
01sesedan 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
It's 1/0 to the distribution block, then 4ga to the amps.
This distribution allows 1/0 in and 4ga out non-fused or 4-8ga fused. Both amp accept the 4ga cable.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks for your feedback..
KPierson 
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
Gotcha, I thought you said you had 8ga out.  If you are using all 1/0 and 4ga then you technically don't NEED any additional fuses.  If you go higher then a 150A fuse it would be a good idea to add them.
Kevin Pierson
01sesedan 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
10-4..
Its been working fine for the last few months but just wanted to get confirmation.
The decision to use 150amp main fuse came from adding up all the fuses on the amps. Which is 110amps total, add several amps more and decided to use 150A.
Maybe this method is incorrect but it has been working so far.
Thanks for everyones input...
KPierson 
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

Thats a good rule of thumb to go by.

The only other thing to consider though is the fact that the SoundStream amp won't ever pull close to 40A.  Amps are fused for their max power and unless you start running subs off the SoundStream amp I would be surprised if it ever pulled more then 20A, let alone close to 40.

I would guess you could get by with a 100A fuse, but the 150A fuse isn't hurting you in any way.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic