icon

1999 ford taurus remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Falcon 1 
Copper - Posts: 130
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

This installation has got me stumped. The car is a 1999 Ford Taurus with factory keyless entry and the remote start is "Magnum-Security" made by JBS Technologies. In their manual they have a website but it does not exist "magnum-security.com".

The unit is installed and starts fine all ignition and accessory wires are powered.

I am having trouble with the locks the remote start unit only has two wires for locks. I have checked with DMM at the drivers kick panel for correct wires as stated on this forum but could not get the locks to work. I have also read here that you can go to the "GEM Module" which is easier and quicker? Also I'm thinking that I may have to add relays to the output wires of the remote start.

The other problem is this unit is also supposed to pop trunk the only problem is none of the wires in the manual are labeled "trunk" but there is a button on the remote labeled trunk. There were a few wires left over labeled  "not used" in the manual so I tried to check each one while pressing the trunk button and DMM attached to each wire one at a time but could not get any output reading.

The final problem is while I'm waiting to get the locks working I thought I could have the customer just use the factory keyless entry remote to unlock and lock doors but the factory keyless entry does not work when under remote start but works fine any other time just not when the remote start is activated is there any wire that is not powered that can be in order for the factory keyless to work? All accessories and ignition wires are already powered heater blower works. Is there anyway to wake the unit up?

Is anyone familiar with these "Magnum-Security" they are made by JBS and look very similar to some Bulldog units also made by JBS Technologies I've installed in the past.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks.

Do it right the first time, only a doctor can bury his mistakes.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2008 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
JBS, based in Steubenville, OH, manufactures Bulldog, Shelby, and as you've now added Magnum Security.
If you could scan the page of the manual(assuming there is one) which shows the complete wiring diagram from the unit, I and others here could probably ID it with a specific Bulldog piece and base a response off of that.
That Taurus has (-) locks, which ostensibly should work with the low-current (-) outputs from an aftermarket unit and not require relays. Lock and unlock are pink / YELLOW and pink/lt. green respectively, and can usually be found in the large harness to the rear on the driver's side.
Factory keyless non-function with the ignition on is a designed feature on older model Fords, and there's probably no good way to get around it (cutting the ignition wire to the GEM would have unwanted side effects). The best thing to do is what you've already done - sell them an aftermarket piece that does keyless as well.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
JBS has been out of business for quite some time, I believe.
Just above and in front of where the driver's left toes would be, you can see the fuse box/ body control module.
There are maybe three plugs coming out the bottom end, with the wires going down.
The pink / YELLOW and pink/green lock/unlock wires are in one of those plugs.
No idea about the trunk output on that unit, sorry. Does it have any outputs like AUX or Channel 2 or anything like that?
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, since March 2007...who knew?
They're right in my backyard too and I never heard about this. Thanks Chris. I'm not surprised though given the statements of acquaintances who worked there.
Falcon 1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

Ok thanks for the info. But when I was looking on-line for information I thought I read here  that JBS was rescued and reopened and operating under the same name?

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~94190~get~last

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Falcon1, you're referring to a post later than mine, so I guess they did re-open.
Falcon 1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Finally had a chance to scan the schematic, The door lock wires are marked "Door Lock +/-" no unlock and there is no switch to change the output or programmable feature to change the output. But there is for the parking light output.

1999 ford taurus remote start -- posted image.

Falcon 1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
The car is back today. I was testing the pink / YELLOW and pink/green lock/unlock wires and when the door lock switch is at rest it shows +12v on each lock/unlock wire and when you press the lock button it goes to ground and the same on the unlock. Now would this not damage the remote start module having 12v feeding back through the lock/unlock wires when switch is at rest?
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
Falcon 1 wrote:
The car is back today. I was testing the pink / YELLOW and pink/green lock/unlock wires and when the door lock switch is at rest it shows +12v on each lock/unlock wire and when you press the lock button it goes to ground and the same on the unlock. Now would this not damage the remote start module having 12v feeding back through the lock/unlock wires when switch is at rest?
No, that reading's not a problem at all. You would see a similar reading on almost all cars with (-) locks.
The 12V reading is coming from either the GEM module (where it would internally be connected to 12V through a resistor), or from the other side of the coils of the factory lock/unlock relays. In either case it's not a direct connection to 12V and won't affect the Magnum control module either at rest or when locking/unlocking via remote.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic