< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobojoe 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

Car: 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Auto Trans

Remote start unit: Compustar 1w900FM-S, Module CM5200
Bypass Unit: DEI 556L

The car will not start with the auto start system, it cranks and begins to turn over and then shuts off. I think the issue is with the bypass unit. If i put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position the remote start system works and the car starts with the key fine  (not using RS). The LED on the bypass unit comes on and stays on when the car is started with the key, but does not light up at all during the remote start attempt.

Here is the wiring details:

Bypass unit:
BLACK/ white (bulb check): connected to the car, black wire in black ignition harness
Black: connected to black wire on passlock wire harness
Pink: connected to car ignition (pink wire, white plug)
Blue: connected to RS unit - Black wire listed as "Status/Ground while running 250mA negative (-) output"
Violet wire: connected to RS unit - RED / black wire listed as "2nd Starter 250mA negative (-) output"
Red: 12V ignition harness
Yellow and BLACK / YELLOW: connected to cut yellow passlock wire.

Thanks for the help in advance.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
put the key in the ignition cylinder, but don't turn it on, try remote starting if it does then it is a bypass problem, if it doesn't start but does when you turn the key to the on position , then it could be that you have your ignition wire mixed up with an accessory wire. just a thought.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
I think it might be the other way round depending on how the key works. If it works like the transponders on Euro cars it will shut the transponder down as soon as the key is inserted. My bets are on bypass or tach learning.
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies, it was the bypass unit. I unplugged the power to the unit, re-learned the R-code. All is well.
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

Car: 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier - Auto Trans

Remote start unit: Compustar 1w900FM-S, Module CM5200
Bypass Unit: DEI 556L

The car starts with no issues using the remote start system. However, when using the key it works fine until turning to crank. Nothing happens with the key when you turn the ignition to crank. I've tried it with two different keys to ensure that the key did not lose the R-code for the passlock system. I have checked all the fuses, all connections were soldered and are still connected, and the harnesses are in place in the ignition switch.  Is there an easy way to test the ignition switch at crank? Is it possible there is an issue with the relay on the starter wire for the RS unit?

Thanks

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
make sure the bypass is wired correctly. the bypass may be trying to send a signal during a regular start making the cars sense the resistance of 2 keys. try disconnecting the ground from the bypass and then start with the key, if it starts then there is a problem with either the status wire(usually blue from the bypass, not sure what color it is on a compustart) but this wire should only be ground when you try to remotestart. also check the starterkill relay if you have one to make sure it is wired right
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
The bypass is wired correctly because it was hooked up a week before the RS unit, everything worked fine until today. I did not wire a start kill relay, i'm starting to think the ignition swtich went bad because apparently there is a recall on it. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and see if the recall has been done on the car.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
even if the bypass was hooked up before the remote starter, it doesn't matter. what i am trying to say is to make sure that the wire FROM the remote starter TO the bypass isnt keeping the bypass on all the time. of course you wont have a problem when it's just the bypass that is installed because there is nothing else installed to activate it.
do you have a volt meter? you should test to see if the starter wire gets power when you turn the key. also check the ignition plug, it might be loose. i had that happen to me on a vett once.
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the wiring details:

Bypass unit:
BLACK/ white (bulb check): connected to the car, black wire in black ignition harness
Black: connected to black wire on passlock wire harness
Pink: connected to car ignition (pink wire, white plug)
Blue: connected to RS unit - Black wire listed as "Status/Ground while running 250mA negative (-) output"
Violet wire: connected to RS unit - RED / black wire listed as "2nd Starter 250mA negative (-) output"
Red: 12V ignition harness
Yellow and BLACK / YELLOW: connected to cut yellow passlock wire.

I'm worried if I disconnect the power to the bypass unit I will lose the stored r-code and then i won't be able to start the car at all. I'm going to pull the tape off the ignition side of the starter wire and test it at crank.

hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

UPDATE:

Ignition gives power at crank.
Car starts with key when the RS unit unplugged, but needs the bypass unit to start.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic