icon

1999 cavalier, remote start issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hobojoe 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

Well it will crank when the bypass is unplugged, but it will not turn over. Obviously because the r-code wire is cut.

Yes, that is how it was wired for the bypass unit
yellow starter wire (key side) gives 12.5v at crank position when the car will not crank.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh...that's making sense now.
By chance did you install a starter kill/anti-grind relay? Or otherwise cut the big yellow starter wire during your install?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
The compustar has a pre-wired starter relay for anti-grind. The starter wire (on the car) was cut and the relay was wired to the cut wire. I took the relay from another compustar system i have (installed on my 91 integra) to test to make sure the relay was good. So I ruled out the relay being bad, and double checked to make sure the starter wires were hooked up properly.
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok...the next thing would be to press the unlock button on the Compustar's remote(whether or not your car has power locks). Wait for the parking light flashes to confirm, then try cranking with everything plugged in.
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you Chris!!! Well the car starts with the key while everything is plugged in now! Is there anyway to turn the lock/unlock feature off? since those wires are not hooked to anything.

On a side note, at some point the bypass lost the the R-code and now it won't remote start (startts and shuts back off).. ugh...  So next time I'll be able to re-learn the code (hopefully) and all will be well. (Yes I did make sure the tach was learned properly)

Thank you again for your help! I knew I wired everything right, I'm not new to wiring cars up.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
There might be a program option to disable the starter kill feature. I'm not familiar with Compustar but other alarms have a setting where the anti-grind output can be set to only come on with remote start.
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
So now the bypass will not re-learn the code. I have tried the learn sequence and it has not worked, the light flashes the way it's suppose to but it still does not work. The car tries to start and shuts right off, with the key in the on postion the car starts with the remote start. Yes, the bypass use to work....
chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm...check ignition output from remote start, as well as the GWR output. LED flashes suggest that the bypass has constant power and ground.
mike swanson 
Copper - Posts: 290
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2009 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
"The LED on the bypass unit comes on and stays on when the car is started with the key, but does not light up at all during the remote start attempt".
this is what he said in his 1st post
check the GWR the light should come on during RS
Also check to see if that BP can only be programed once for 1 car only
hobojoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I was able to get the bypass to learn the R-code and start on Thursday, tested it 4 time that night. It worked Friday morning but then the bypass stopped working Friday night (starts and shuts off). I think either the bypass is faulty or just a POS product. Is it possible that the r-code for the key is hard for it to keep and I should try another key? Or should I just get another bypass?

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic