the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

biometrics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
ok i just had an awesome idea and i want you, yes you, to help me come up with something. basically i want to use a biometric reader(fingerprint reader for those of you who dont know that)to unlock my doors and eventually have the same system to start my truck.
now here's the tricky part, there is only one biometric car alarm that i know of and it is $600 but i already have a good alarm so i just need the sensors and a control box that will give me a few negative outputs when it detects a good fingerprint. truthfully i also could use anything that is meant for building security systems because believe it or not it is still a 12v system.(by the way, if you didn't know anything you can buy for a building alarm system can be installed in a car, even cameras, motion sensors, even a cellular backup device. but all im talking about are biometric readers
the problem with those is they usually need to be connected to a control panel as part of a bigger access control system. i just cant find anything that would be small and basic enough to be used in a car. this is definitely going to be my next custom project for my truck so if anybody has any insight or experience in the matter or even just suggestions on what else i could do with something like this would be awesome
xicano21 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

I believe some one else mention about biometrics and was able to do it ,but i think the cold made it unsuccessfull. not sure, but anything is possible

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

yeah there was a post a while back where a guy said he had it working but it didn't work well in the cold.  I would imagine there are sensors available that could withstand the cold.

Why biometric and not an RFID type of system that could detect proximaty to the car?

Kevin Pierson
lostissues 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

here is the post where I remember seeing biometrics mentioned.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~108022~PN~3

the poster that says he did it is "misterjimbo"

Jonathan

soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
ok, well i've been thinking a little bit more about it and this is what i have come up with and what i would need to do it. let me know what you guys (n' gals) think
first i would need the above stated fingerprint reader that can provide at least 2 separate pulses when it sees a good fingerprint. i'm thinking that i might just get a biometric door knob for a house and strip it down to just raw parts because they are normally used activate an electronic door strike for security which is pretty much what i need.
then i would need an extra cheapo remote to program to my existing alarm and then take it apart to physically interface with the remotes' disarm button so that it will like pressing the unlock button on a remote except i will be using a relay hooked to the biometric reader as a input to close the circuit on the remote instead of physically pressing it. this is the only way i can think of to interface with my alarm, a viper 791xv
also i will need some sort of charging system to keep a constant charge on the remote. 1.5v probably. same thing if you were trying to bypass a car with a proximity key.
as for the biometric starting function all i would really need to do is mount the reader onto a push button that is only activated with 12v when the reader confirms a good print. i would wire it so when the reader sends its pulse it would engage a latched relay that controls the ignition and accessory circuits and once that happens i would just push harder to engage the push button behind the reader and that would complete the starter circuit. the only problem i see with this is that i would need a separate off switch to kill the ignition because it is on a latched relay that will only de-activate when it loses ground.
KPierson 
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

A 1.5vdc voltage regulator can replace the battery to keep the remote powered constantly.  That's simple enough.

I wouldn't recomend on relying soley on a latched relay to keep the car running.  If you latch a relay with a pulse and then strike the relay it can unlatch itself (because the contacts will bounce).  You would be better off to use a toggle switch for the ignition and then just use the fingerprint scanner to control a starter relay.  You would need the output to stay on as long as the button is pushed. 

The down side to this entire thing is that you are basically eliminating the security of the finger print scanner because all you need to do is access the wiring and apply ground to the right wire and the car will start.

Kevin Pierson
soundnsecurity 
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

yeah there was a post a while back where a guy said he had it working but it didn't work well in the cold.  I would imagine there are sensors available that could withstand the cold.

Why biometric and not an RFID type of system that could detect proximaty to the car?

because you cant steal my finger without me knowing about it. :) nor can i lose it and i dont have to replace any batteries. i'm not trying to sound paranoid but i do live in New Orleans, the murder capital of the USA. i dont live in a bad neighborhood but sometimes i do have to park my truck in some pretty questionable areas. if i had to replace everything audio related in my truck it would be about $2500, so i'd rather spend $200 on something cool and learn something in the process too. plus, i've been out of the professional car electronics scene for over a year and haven't really done anything new to my truck in just as long so i really just want to do something that i haven't done before
soundnsecurity 
Posted: December 28, 2008 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

A 1.5vdc voltage regulator can replace the battery to keep the remote powered constantly.  That's simple enough.

I wouldn't recomend on relying soley on a latched relay to keep the car running.  If you latch a relay with a pulse and then strike the relay it can unlatch itself (because the contacts will bounce).  You would be better off to use a toggle switch for the ignition and then just use the fingerprint scanner to control a starter relay.  You would need the output to stay on as long as the button is pushed. 

The down side to this entire thing is that you are basically eliminating the security of the finger print scanner because all you need to do is access the wiring and apply ground to the right wire and the car will start.

that's a good point about the relay becoming unlatched with a shock, but i REALLY REALLY REALLY dont want toggle switches mounted everywhere for the ignition. what if i made a shock-proof/resistant box? i was planning on making some sort of box anyway to house the stripped keypad and some relays to make it more theft proof. i could mount the board on springs or soft foam. i'm very good at hiding wires, so im not worried about that. and i should also add that i'm not getting rid of my key switch or factory antitheft. im just interfacing and adding on to it to make it more secure
KPierson 
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

Haven't you ever read the news artical about the thieves you cut of a guys finger to steal his car?  I don't know if it actually happened, but I do know I read about it.

To fix the "shock" issue I see two options -

1. Use a constant (-) output from the fingerprint scanner to actively keep the relay energized - even if the contacts bounce the coil will keep it pulled in which will keep the car running

2. Use a solid state relay.  No coil, no contacts, no problem.

3. Incorporate a cap in to the latch circuit that would keep the relay energized for 0.25 seconds.  This will prevent shocks from unlatching the relay.

Yes, I realize that was three, but sometimes ideas just pop in to my head as I type!

Kevin Pierson
soundnsecurity 
Posted: December 29, 2008 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Haven't you ever read the news artical about the thieves you cut of a guys finger to steal his car?  I don't know if it actually happened, but I do know I read about it.

To fix the "shock" issue I see two options -

1. Use a constant (-) output from the fingerprint scanner to actively keep the relay energized - even if the contacts bounce the coil will keep it pulled in which will keep the car running

2. Use a solid state relay.  No coil, no contacts, no problem.

3. Incorporate a cap in to the latch circuit that would keep the relay energized for 0.25 seconds.  This will prevent shocks from unlatching the relay.

Yes, I realize that was three, but sometimes ideas just pop in to my head as I type!

haha,well this is how i would wire the latched relay:
30. 12v constant
85. switched momentary 12v from scanner output
86. constant ground
87. loop back to 85
87a. this is my switch, it will be open when active and 12v when latent and i can diode if i need to
since it is a loop once activated it will stay on until it loses ground, but i can use this to drive the ignition and acc circuits( with other relays ofcourse) it's all very complicated and i probably wont get if perfect until i actually start messing with it hands on but i think it can work. now remember that the above is just for the starter, the locks and alarm disarm is a lot easier.
or i could just make it easy on myself and just use a latched push button switch like a normal push-button starter with the biometric reader to enable or disable the power feed for the switch, how does that sound?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic