icon

focal crossover stops when it’s cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vlonjati 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
Hi every one. I am new here but not new to car audio. I got a set of Focal 165 a1 component speakers and installed them on my 08 civic along a BOSS 4 channel amp and an Alpine 9884 HU.
So here is what I need help with. When it is cold I loose sound from my woofers. I have checked the wiring and all is good. I bypass momentarily the crossover and feed the woofers with the amp output and they work fine. Sometimes Id I go ahead and rewire the crossover all works fine.
I did not drive my car for 4 days and when I got in it the woofers were dead again. Any ideas?
Secondly, I have the notorious "pop" sound coming from my speakers, especially the coaxial Alpines in the rear deck. I have grounded the amp where the factory had grounded some devices also.
Any ideas?
I appreciate your help in advance.
vlonjati 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
I meant to mention that the poping noise is heard when the car is turned on or off.
Sorry :)
vlonjati 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Here is an update... the poping sound from my speakers was due too poor remote turn on lead. I was using a 12volt out from my fuse box, that was causing it. I moved my remote turn on to the remote turn on from the head unit. All is good now.
As far as my crossovers, I went ahead and checked again my terminations. Recut and solder tipped the leads before screwing them on the crossover. All works well now. I have to see what happens over night since it seamed that the cold was causing the issue.
I still would appreciate input on the regard though.
Thank you in advance and I hope that my findings help you guys out.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Boss and Focal in the same sentence? Do yourself a favor and buy a better quality amp. It is just painful to think your running a better than average comp set off a cheeze amp. Not a focal fan but still painful.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

There was a run of the boss amps that were built by Zed Audio, much better quality than the rest of their products.

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
If ZED did make a run of Boss it had to have been 85' maybe? I knew about the ESX, Hifonics, Lanzar, Crunch, Nakamichi, US amps. There are a few more but Boss wasn't one of them. Were they Steve Mantz designed or just constructed by ZED?
vlonjati 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
I am returning the Boss. Since my budget is so small I could only afford another 4 channel Pioneer GM-4300F. Are they any good? What would one recommend as a descent amp for a small budget?
Cheers
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
They were very recent.  Steve did design and has some of them left, he frequents another forum that I visit, he is (was) trying to sell them for cheap.  It was a few months ago. 
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
never heard of this before. however you can take a soldering iron and just heat up and add a little solder to all the connections on the crossover there might be a bad solder joint.
check all conections.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
vlonjati 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have checked all connections and solder tipped the wiring to the crossovers. I will take the crossovers a part and check and see what is going on... Wired!
Thanks....
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic