icon

2003 yukon no crank when it's cold out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ernmang2 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

2003 yukon No Crank...when its cold out (Michigan) ...it has a RS system I think its a viper, everything worked fine and it started to do this no crank thing (security light on dash when it happens) I am not sure if it has a bypass module or a resister... I still need to do some homework its not my truck but I am trying to help out.  I am not even sure its a RS issue I thought GMC had some phantom No Cranks problems.  Anything that rings a bell ??? I sure would appeciate it.

Thanks

Ernie

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
it does have a bypass module. a lot of time the installer does not use one and figures out the resistance in the car instead and installs a resistor. a bypass module will change or adjust automatically whith conditions. however when a resistor is cold it may change value and seast to exist.
who did the install.>? you should have a module like a dei 555l or 556lw installed along with a remote start system. yukons have had chipped keys for years probably before 98 so an 03 deffinitely has one.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
xplorin16 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

2003 Yukon doesnt have a chip key its passlock, the immobilizer is sent a signal from the r-code wire when the key turns in the ignition.   The bypass reproduces this when remote starting, doesnt matter if they used a xk01, 555l, 1700g, or two relays with resisitors, they all use resisitances and can be affected by weather.  I doubt this is the issue, but like alot of bypasses they can be affected by weather.  If it is a learning module its best to program the bypass when its cold, ive heard stories of ppl putting them in a freezer for a few minutes or in the fridge.  If its the two relays that shouldnt needed.  Regardless take it to a certified professional for them to diagnose the issue. 

Keep us posted.

Advanced MECP
ernmang2 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention they told me that it would also do the no crank thing even when starting it normally he would end up sitting there and keep tring the key until it would crank .......with security light on -on the dash I am thinking it an factory alarm problem ...
xplorin16 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yea thats a big bit of info to leave out, lol.  Passlock systems are notorius for having issues.   Take a trip to your dealer.
Advanced MECP
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
the chip in the key might be going bad and if you have a module the module will continuously reprogram with the key. when that happens try to use the other key to see if it is related.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
xplorin16 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2009 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
There is no chip in the key for that vehicle, its passlock not passkey.
Advanced MECP
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
this vehicle uses a resistance that is built into the lock cylinder, there is no chip in the key.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2009 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Again, to reiterate: Passlock II on this yukon does not use a chip of any kind in the key - it's in the lock cylinder.
The problem could be either a defective key cylinder resistor, or more likely a bad connection somewhere in between the key cylinder and the Body Control Module. Many passlock bypass modules interrupt the R-code wire from the key cylinder, and if the module itself got unplugged, or one of its wire connections to the car was poor, that could cause the problem you're describing.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2009 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
I think there needs to be some clarification on whether or not the engine cranks or not when cold. Does the engine turn over, but not start? If so then you may have a Passlock II problem. If the enigne won't even crank, then the issue is not with the Passlock II system. If the Passlock II system has a fault or the bypass that is used is faulty, the motor will still crank, but it won't start. If the engine won't turn over, check the battery terminals are clean and tight. Take the terminals off and inspect the rubber boots aren't hiding corrosion. Clean the main battery ground cable at the frame rail above the driver's side tow hook behind the bumper. Check that the ignition switch and other dash harnesses are fully plugged in. Proper diagnosis requires detailed info of what is going on in order to fix the problem.
sparky
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic