icon

are your headlights legal?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
I post this, in hopes of educating the masses about HID lighting. I'm no professional, but I'm so god damn sick of being blinded by other drivers who simply don't know better.
In my everyday driving I see A LOT of people who have HID kits installed in their cars, but aren't aware that the lights they are running are illegal.
When installed incorrectly, the light from HIDs is not focused properly, this causes the lights from your car to be diffused all over the place namely into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
I speak from experience having almost been in 3 accidents due to being blinded by someones aftermarket HID kit.
The worst part is, most of the people buying these lights and kits have no idea that there lights are illegal.
If you are running these lights, and get into an accident with someone, YOU will be held at fault for having illegal lights on your car (This really only applies to head on type collisions).
These types of headlights MUST have a projector to properly focus the light where it's SUPPOSED to go. Halogen projectors are also INCORRECT for this type of application. you MUSt use a proper HID projector.
Here are some resources for people/installers who want HID lights, and;
1.) Don't want to endanger the lives of others or themselves
2.) Don't want to be at fault for an accident because they didn't know better.
HID Planet Forums - An exceelent resource and discussion board for learning more about HID lighting and PROPER retrofitting. Tons of info about how to actually do retrofits etc.
YouTube video explaining illegal HIDs. Yes the video may not directly apply to your state laws, but the facts are still the same.
The pictures below show how your beam pattern with HIDs properly installed should look. (These are borrwed from hidplanet, but not hotlinked.)
are your headlights legal? -- posted image.
are your headlights legal? -- posted image.
The reason for this is because it illuminates signs properly, as well as projecting the light miles down the road, but the step in the middle also keeps the light out of oncoming drivers eyes.
You can see from the picture on the bottom that it projects light low, far ahead of you down the road where it's actually needed, instead of just pouring light into every available open space.
When you switch on your high beams, the shield creating that nice little step, and crisp clean line, drops down and allows more light through.
I hope I have been able to shed some light on this matter, and help educate people not only to be safe and have these properly installed, but also that if you are in an accident that was caused by the other driver being blinded YOU WILL BE AT FAULT FOR HAVING ILLEGALLY INSTALLED LIGHTS!
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
yeah they are legal in some states but not all. Check with your local law enforcement to see if it is legal in your state
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think they are "legal" so much as those states just haven't caught up.
I'm in London, Ontario, and I don't think they are classified as illegal, but I've talked to quite a few cops who have pulled people over for having lights that are too bright.... IE un-projected HIDs.
Naturally it comes down to state law, but i'd bet money that the person with the illegal HIDs is going to be the one at fault for a head on collision (barring other circumstances such as snow or ice etc... there are a lot of variables here) especially if the other party says they were blinded and couldn't see.
There are also some kits I've come across that are legal drop-ins because they aren't much brighter than regular bulbs.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2009 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
in the state where i live and in the ones next to me like Arizona, lighting of any type inside or outside or anything "not the norm" can be up to the descretion of the officer as to if its illegal or not. this especially includes HID's and any non OE lighting. the way its done is, if an officer "feels" that your lighting is "distraction" to other drivers on the road or yourself, then you will be cited and given a ticket or even have to appear in court and let a judge decide. this goes for any type of lighting inside or outside, neon or led or any type of lighting period. lowriders that are too low to the ground or trucks that are jacked a mile high are illegal as well if it is deemed that in an accident they would go right over a car of standard height or be too low for a car of standard height. they do not say lighting or lifted trucks are illegal, but rather if they cause distractions or will be unsafe on roads to others beyond a reasonable amount, then they are illegal and must be changed or a judge can have the state even the revoke registration. its hardly enforced, but like i say its all up to the discretion of the officer.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
I'm wondering how far from the wall the car is on that top picture? I guaranteeee you that those lights will burn your retinas.
ryan95x 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
I hear you bigjohnny, that is one of my pet peeves.  Here in southern CA, there are a ton of those driving around blinding everybody.  I retrofitted my 95 eclipse with projectors and HIDs from an Infinity FX35 and I absolutely love them!  
-Dual XHD6425 - HD Radio w/USB & 3.5mm in
-Power Acoustik PS4-840
-Infinity Components
-10" Clarion SW1051 in FG molded box
attack eagle 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
airhed692005 wrote:
yeah they are legal in some states but not all. Check with your local law enforcement to see if it is legal in your state
they aren;t legal any where in the United states unless they were fitted from the manufacturer to your exact car, or are an OEM part or crash repair part for YOUR car.
the only legal upgrade is if HID was optional on your exact vehicle... and you install OEM housings, ballasts, and DS2 bulbs and any necessary wiring (like auto leveling system) to provide full functionality as they were originally approved.
E-codes are illegal in the US (legal in canada) mexican headlights are illegal (sorry, bora conversions) bulb replacing kits are illegal, and retrofitting tsx/rsx/etc projectors into something else is also illegal. So is modding the light pattern, as was done above.
All retrofits are illegal.
All kits are illegal.
All overwattage bulbs are illegal.
period.
now what you will most likely get Pulled over for, or busted real quick for at a traffic stop or DWI checkpoint is grossly mis-aimed headlights, obviously off color bulbs, incorrect illumination colors for reflectors/turnsignals and obvious retrofits.
I have no HIDs but my headlights are technically illegal. they provide less glare than the law requires (e codes)
92 BMW 525iT
Black on Black
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2009 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

attack eagle wrote:
airhed692005 wrote:
they aren;t legal any where in the United states unless they were fitted from the manufacturer to your exact car, or are an OEM part or crash repair part for YOUR car.
the only legal upgrade is if HID was optional on your exact vehicle... and you install OEM housings, ballasts, and DS2 bulbs and any necessary wiring (like auto leveling system) to provide full functionality as they were originally approved.
E-codes are illegal in the US (legal in canada) mexican headlights are illegal (sorry, bora conversions) bulb replacing kits are illegal, and retrofitting tsx/rsx/etc projectors into something else is also illegal. So is modding the light pattern, as was done above.
All kits are illegal.
period.
now what you will most likely get Pulled over for, or busted real quick for at a traffic stop or DWI checkpoint is grossly mis-aimed headlights, obviously off color bulbs, incorrect illumination colors for reflectors/turnsignals and obvious retrofits.
I have no HIDs but my headlights are technically illegal. they provide less glare than the law requires (e codes)

yea, im gonna call you on this one.

"crack" is illegal. "meth" is illegal. lighting is NOT illegal even if it is not OE (especially considering there is no law specificaly saying that it is, which would make it illegal). hmmmm.... i wonder how in the world a guy could ever drive around a 1930's Ford coupe (considering no stupid a** in their right mind uses the "OE" lighting on one), hmmmm...

it is not the "lighting" itself that is illegal, but rather the way it is installed. there are some "OE" lighting systems that might be considered "illegal" where i live Mr. smartie pants. perhaps you failed to read my above post (or perhaps did not understand it??).

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2009 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged  

All kits are illegal.
period.

This is just not true my friend

The individual states make their own laws on this....

91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Automotive lighting is federally regulated and not state regulated.
All types of lighting that does not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108 is illegal in the US.
The specific law is in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 571, Section 108.
If anyone is interested, you can look it up on the US Gov't Printing Office Website, scroll down to 571.108 for the section of interest.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_99/49cfr571_99.html
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic