icon

4v vs, 2v preout sq

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
manahawkinrob 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
I just recently replaced my Alpine CDA-9885 HU with a Kenwood DNX7120 DVD/NAV system.  All other components are the same. An Alpine PDX 4.100 driving Alpine components in the front, the other 2 channels bridged for the (2) 8" subs, and Alpine coax in the rear driven by the HU. Since the swap, first I had to turn my gains up signifiganlty. The other thing I noticed is that my SQ has deteriorated greatly. The Alpine had very clear highs and deep bass, while the Kenwood seems muffled. The only obvious thing I notice in the specs are the different preout voltages.  Could this be my problem and would line drivers solve this, or is it just that the Alpine unit is superior in SQ to the Kenwood?
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
manahawkinrob wrote:
I just recently replaced my Alpine CDA-9885 HU with a Kenwood DNX7120 DVD/NAV system.  All other components are the same. An Alpine PDX 4.100 driving Alpine components in the front, the other 2 channels bridged for the (2) 8" subs, and Alpine coax in the rear driven by the HU. Since the swap, first I had to turn my gains up signifiganlty. The other thing I noticed is that my SQ has deteriorated greatly. The Alpine had very clear highs and deep bass, while the Kenwood seems muffled. The only obvious thing I notice in the specs are the different preout voltages.  Could this be my problem and would line drivers solve this, or is it just that the Alpine unit is superior in SQ to the Kenwood?
The reason you had to turn the gain up more was due to the preout voltage. However, the reason your sound qualty was worse was most likely due to the Alpine deck being a superior deck then the Kenwood. It is unlikely that there was a great difference in sound quality just because of the preout voltages.
manahawkinrob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I could improve the quality of the Kenwood with line drivers, I hate to be stuck with this SQ for the price of the HU...oh well 
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
A line driver may or may not help, most likely hindering your goal of SQ, but I can GUARANTEE that it will add noise and distortion to the system, no matter HOW "good" it/they (the manufacturer) might say it is. It's a gain stage, pure and simple, and EVERY gain stage will cause some amount of destruction (as well as add it's own noise) to the signal. It is a fact of life.
And, as I know that Audio Control happens to be the "leader" in the line driver arena (certainly the most named, and most recognized), I will stop you from even considering that particular brand, as I will guess that was the product you were going to ask about next... The S/N ratio of nearly ALL the AQ gear is outrageously high, and this one piece is no exception. DON'T DO IT!
My suggestion? Go back to the Alpine head... The Kenwood IS NOT a step up in the SQ department. Sell it, and cut your losses to a bare minimum. The addition of ANY line driver will only boost the poor output performance of a crappy head to even higher levels of crap, and then you'll be stuck off-loading TWO pieces of inadequate audio gear.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
manahawkinrob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst:

Thank you for the reply. You guys have pretty much confirmed my fears. I got a crappier quailty unit. I really did love the Alpine, still do as I put it in my other car, that is why I can still compare the two HUs. The reason I bought the Kenwood is that it is a NAV system as well, but after having the Alpine, I know what good SQ should sound like. I put a lot of work into the new kenwood though, backup camera, sirius, bluetooth, so now I am just gonna have to sell the whole truck and start all over :-(

cadenceclipse 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
sell it 4get bout nav, at least if your talkin anything bout sq
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
Still want SQ and GPS and high output voltage and low impedence preouts, look no further than the Eclipse AVN6620. I use the last years model and it is a far superior unit as far as I am concerned. www.eclipse-web.com for more info.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
cadenceclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
well i think forbidden hit the mark on that one.  gotta b like 2 gs though. 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
I sold all of the ones I had in stock, they were on sale for $1000CDN and included a Bluetooth interface.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
cadenceclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2009 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
damn, that hurts, canada rules
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic