the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

domelight supervision, does door matter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
73stingray 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a remote starter w. keyless entry and one of the outputs is for domelight supervision. I saw on a website somewhere that I should be using the drivers door trigger wire for this instead of the passanger/rear doors. my car doesn't have any factory alarm at all, and I'm wondering why it would matter which door I tie into? If the car thought the drivers door was open than the door chime would be on when the car was in remote start too. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use the passenger door trigger? It is a much closer run for where I have my unit installed.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
It does not matter you can use any door trigger for dome supervision.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
myinstallguy 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
The domelight output is just a convenience feature to illuminate the interior of the vehicle apon disarm. Using the passenger door pin will be fine. Make sure you verify whether or not you need to use a relay as most alarms have a very low current dome output.
*Installer since '89*
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2009 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
What model R/S with K/E are you installing?
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
73stingray 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
Its a commando ez-2500. I'm installing it in a 99 grand am and the door trigger wires feed into the body computer and there's a separate power output to the lights from there. The domelight control is 200ma from the unit. I guess that's a good question about the relay though. I thought the door pins were just signal wires and the BCM controlled the actual lights.
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  
When in doubt, relay it.
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
You should be OK with direct connection of the domelight wire on that car. As you've surmised the door triggers are just low current inputs to the BCM and don't drive the domelight directly. I've done this numerous times, including on Grand Ams.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Follow the 3 second rule here. If the dome light shuts down within 3 secs after locking the doors go to the neg switched side. The dome light with one  or two exceptions, Rolls/Bentley and some Fords will have 3 terminals, 12v+ permanent, ground permanent and wire going to ground on opening the door*  That third wire is the switched ground side. * Let's forget about Fords with nasty open circuit on door open shall we?
73stingray 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
huh? I have a full wiring diagram for the car so I know the BCM switches the ground on and off to control the dome and courtesy lights, but I'm tapping into the signal wire that tells the BCM when the doors are open. The lights dim off after a few seconds of the doors being closed... how does this 3 second rule apply?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic