icon

adding door locks with no alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimd2p 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
I am working on a 1971 El Camino. This is a restoration project, and all factory wiring has been removed from the car. We are now installing a Painless Wiring Harness and adding some features. I already wired in the power seats with no problem, but am trying to add power door locks to the car. It originally had power locks, but the boat anchors (I mean stock actuators) were no good and they are not available any more. I have the original factory switch, which is a 3 wire switch. I replaced the factory actuators with two wire after market actuators. My ultimate goal is for my customer to be able to use the factory switches as the car was originally designed. When you lock or unlock, both doors do what they are supposed to. Using my Power Probe, I am able to actuate them how I want, but I can't get it to work using the switches.
I have tried a few different relay configurations with no luck. At this time, I have looked at the factory wiring diagram, but the way it was all tied together and the type of relay used is not available to me either.
The switches in the door have 12 volts running to them. When you actuate the switch, it sends a 12 volt signal out. The actuators require one wire to see ground and the other to see power. I have not figured out yet how to make this happen. I am sure it is probably pretty simple, but this is something I don't normally do.
We are trying to avoid adding an alarm system or keyless entry system.
Any help would be appreciated. I have spent hours searching and going through Google like crazy.
Thanks in advance.
jim
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2009 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Modifications are necessary
See the red wire in the middle of the picture that is connected to 85 of one relay and 86 of the other relay. Those 2 terminals need to be connected to ground instead of power. The wires labeled - lock and unlock from alarm, those are now positive voltage from the appropriate wire from the OEM switch.
jimd2p 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you. I will give that a try. That is one of the things I was trying, but wasn't sure how to hook up the factory switch.
jimd2p 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
To be sure, can you tell me if this is what I need? Just not sure about the 87a terminals.

I--------------------------------I-----------12+ fused
           87 87
OEM -86    87a     85-------------- 86      87a          85-OEM
Input       I              I I             Input
            I           GroundI
            I I
            I--------------------------------I
            I
        Ground
           30 30
            I I
        To Actuator      To Actuator
Thanks
jimd2p 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Well that diagram didn't come out how I wanted!
I am looking at:
87 and 87 to 12+ fused
86 on left relay is OEM input +
85 on right relay is OEM input +
85 on left relay to 86 on right relay goes to ground
30 on each relay goes to actuators-one for lock and one for unlock.
So do the two 87a terminals get hooked together and go to ground also?
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yes 87a and 85 on the left relay and 87a and 86 of the right relay all need to be grounded.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Try this; input for switch to ground, lock  from switch to 85 of lock relay,  87 and 86 to 12v+ at allow 7.5 amps per motor. 87a to ground, 30 to lock wires.... unlock from switch to 85 of unlock relay, other terminals as lock relay, except 30 to unlock motor wires. Craig could we please make 85 the ground side of the relay coil, it's how I learned back in the days when Noah was just another weatherman.
i am an idiot 
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
If I had drawn the pic, I would have.  Since I was using an already existing pic, it was just easier to do it that way.  Sorry, I won't let it happen again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
OK I'll let you off this time, Chris Wallace is always having a go at me for calling 5 wire motor or relay interrupt and as far as I'm concerned maybe we ought to standardise these terms.
jimd2p 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Went out and did this today. Works great! I appreciate everyone's help.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic