light led at specific resistance?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
astrosurfer 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
OK
That circuit works but it's very hard to set the pot.
very jumpy indeed.
Is there another less drastic pot I can use for this?
Thanks a bunch fellas
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
I need better info on the voltage readings. You stated earlier that your range of voltages were from 2.75 to 6.22. You then stated that you want it to light at 2.5 volts. Is the 6.22 and the 2.75 not completely full and completely empty? I can make it come on at whatever voltage you desire. I just noticed that your desired voltage did not fall in the range you posted. Clear that up and I will figure it out this evening.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  

As long as you can handle not being able to set the value above 5vdc I would use a voltage regulator on the pot. 

The 7805 has three pins - in, out, and ground.  Connect the in to switced ignition, connect the ground to ground, and then connect the out to the "voltage in" pin on the pot.  If you want to "do it right" you should also add a cap across the input and a cap across the output (check the data sheet for the recomended type and value).

This will limit the range of the pot from 0-5vdc and, more importantly, it will eliminate the flucuation on the op amp input caused by the unstable voltage of the vehicles electrical system.

If you are having trouble dialing the pot in you may want to look for a higher quality pot or a pot with more turns.  On the last circuit I built I used a pot from Alpha that was a single turn (270 degrees from end to end) and I could adjust it to the hundreth of a volt between 0-5vdc rather easily.

Kevin Pierson
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
If the pot is too touchy to get accurate, when I am actually awake I will figure out a voltage divider and a smaller pot so you can get it more accurate.

If you go the 7805 route, you will have to buy a new pot and also have to sink and mount the regulator.  Or we could use 1 or 2 resistors and a different value pot.  No heat sink no worries about mounting the heat sink and the IC. 

astrosurfer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
OK fellas
Like I say...I have the dash out of my project car.
I worked this last night and the circuit lit the led just fine.
I had 2 values from the pot...
I'd like to just make it a set value seeing as I know when I need to turn it on at.
I will get that value later on.
Not at my bench right now.
It seemed to turn on at around between 1/4 and Empty.which is where I want. It was just a bitch setting the pot because it jumps large figures.
I was also using a pot to set my gauge. (with the info from you guys about the value difference I should be seeing across my gauge.)
I made the circuit exactly though the first time I had a resistor as my slosh wire, but I realised that was wrong coz the LED would not go out...stayed on no matter what.
So I figured I'd better set it up with my gauge and all.
That's when the circuit worked...with the actual voltage from the slosh wire.( I had 15 ohms across my gauge as a mock slosh wire like it was still in the vehicle)
To fine tune this I'd really like to get the values right and make a fixed setup with no trimming required.
I have a few folks interested in this and we have the same vehicles.
All 0-90 ohm resistance senders. Basically all firebird/trans am owners.
Anyway the readings I will post shortly from either side of the 10K pot.( I assume it's a 10K pot..lol)
Anyway it works and I just need to finetune it for my specific vehicle without any trimming. Plug and play if you like.
Thanks again fellas
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

If you go the 7805 route, you will have to buy a new pot and also have to sink and mount the regulator.  Or we could use 1 or 2 resistors and a different value pot.  No heat sink no worries about mounting the heat sink and the IC. 

Why would you need a different pot and why would you need a heat sink?  I just did this the other day with a 10K pot and a 100mA 7805 with no heat sink.  Works great.  The pot will only draw 1/2mA, WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY below the point of needing a sink (typically 100mA is the point of adding a heat sink).

If you want to eliminate the pot and just use a voltage divider circuit you should still use a 5vdc regulator to power the voltage divider circuit.  Your battery voltage will bounce around from ~10-~15vdc while driving depending on a multitude of conditions.  Having a voltage regulator will insure that you ALWAYS have 5vdc going in to the voltage divider (or pot) and will eliminate the effects of the unstable voltage.  I would guarentee the guage has a voltage regulator inside it to provide consistency in reading the level sensor, so why not include this "feature" in the circuitry to light the light?

Kevin Pierson
astrosurfer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I think I would like to make the resistance across the pot be fixed at what makes the light come on now. I think it was like 5K.
That circuit does what I need.
Could I sub the pot for a 5K and test that way.
I guess nothing is ever discovered if it's never tried eh?
It would merely make the light come on when sender reaches a specific point instead of a user variable point, correct?
i am an idiot 
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

If you can not tell me what voltage the resistance lead of the meter has on it when you are at the desired level of fuel, I can not answer your question.   You earlier said that the range of the gauge was from 6.22 volts to 2.75 volts.  Then you said you wanted it to come on at 2.5 volts.   That is not within the range of what you said the gauge operated at.  The following diagram includes a resistor and a zener diode used as regulation.  

The pot has been replaced with 2 fixed resistors.  They will make the light come on at 2.5 volts.  If you need to have the light come on with less voltage, change the bottom resistor to a slightly lower value than the 1K.   If you need the light to come on at a higher voltage, replace the 1K with a resistor with a slightly higher than 1K.

light led at specific resistance? - Page 3 -- posted image.

i am an idiot 
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

If you insist on using the 7805 here is how you would do so.  The left leg of it needs to be connected to power.  Notice the A in the 2 boxes, connect those together. 

light led at specific resistance? - Page 3 -- posted image.

astrosurfer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
With 13.5 volts getting to the gauge power wires I have 9.6 volts on the slosh terminal.
The first circuit mentioned on page 1 works fine.
It works with a 3K pot too.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic