picking the relay i need

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phree_refill 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all.

I am looking for a mechanical latching relay exactly like the one shown in the diagram listed on this site ( https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#sppbdl ). I finally found a webiste that looks pretty promissing as far as selling one that I need because they have over 300 different latching relays listed on their site. My problem now is that I don't know which one of these relays they have lsited is what I need. I don't know much about reading the numbers and what-not listed in the desription areas for relays to know if I'm buying the one that I need. If anyone could help me pick out one that is exaclty like, or very similar to, the mechanical latching relay I referenced earlier I would be very very grateful. Here is a link to the site where I have found all these latching relays http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?Ntk=Primary&Ntt=latching+relay&No=0&N=0&sid=11F02970FFF8

Thanks in advance!

loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
What application will this be used for?
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
phree_refill 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Well I installed a remote starter on my truck. It has all the bells and whistles. It has a dedicated trunk release wire. I plan to install a tailgate lock on my truck. I'm making one with some aftermarket door lock actuators that I bought on ebay.  Rather than wiring the actuators into my power door locks, I want to hook them up to that truck release wire. The trunk release wire only sends out one momentary negative pulse. I need two distinguished negative pulses in order to lock and unlock the actuators. The diagram that I listed above is exactly what I need and would be perect. So when I push the trunk button on my remote once it will unlock the actuator, and then when I push the trunk button a second time it will lock the actuator. I already have the other relays wired to make my actuators function properly. I just need to split the impulse from that trunk wire and have the two fire alternativley in regards to each other.
loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
How will you know if it is locked or unlocked, at any given time? I ask because there may be a more secure design flowchart, if you think about it.
phree_refill 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

To know when it is locked or unlockled I plan to drill a small hole in the trim that goes around my tailgate handle and it will serve as a little window to a small flat slide that I am going to attach to the actuator. The little slide will have two colors; red and green. red will be on one half and green on the other. The small flat slide will move back and forth with the movement of the actuator. When it is unlocked you will be able to see the green part of the slide through the window and when it's locked you will see the red part.

It should stay locked until I push the trunk release button again. I have no worries about the trunk release button being accidentally pushed and hence accidentally locking or unlocking the tailgate because in order to activate the trunk release impulse you have to hold the door unlock button down for 4 seconds. I doubt it will ever be accidentally depressed for 4 seconds straight. The remote starter unit I have BTW is the Design-Tech Ready Remote Deluxe  #23927

loneranger 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

Let me find another source for a supplier.

phree_refill 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

Awesome! Hey thanks so much! You have no idea how frustrating its been to find one of these things.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
phree_refill wrote:

Hello all.

I am looking for a mechanical latching relay exactly like the one shown in the diagram listed on this site ( https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#sppbdl ). I finally found a webiste that looks pretty promissing as far as selling one that I need because they have over 300 different latching relays listed on their site. My problem now is that I don't know which one of these relays they have lsited is what I need. I don't know much about reading the numbers and what-not listed in the desription areas for relays to know if I'm buying the one that I need. If anyone could help me pick out one that is exaclty like, or very similar to, the mechanical latching relay I referenced earlier I would be very very grateful. Here is a link to the site where I have found all these latching relays http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?Ntk=Primary&Ntt=latching+relay&No=0&N=0&sid=11F02970FFF8

Thanks in advance!

hmmm......funny ive never seen this diagram before. and i'd like to know how it would work because i dont think it can. ive never seen a latching relay that works like that. a single coil latching relay works by energizing the coil and then the load contacts become latched. another pulse on one of the coil contacts cant unlatch it. in order to unlatch, the coil has to be energized in the opposite polarity it was energized with to latch it and then it will unlatch. sorta like how alot of alarm units will have low current door lock outputs that flip-flop polarity. the coil polarity on one of these has to be flip-flopped back and forth to make the load contacts latch and release. of course there are dual coil latching relays.....but those have 3 pins to activate the coils. a center pin for a common and then two outside pins. the outside pins recieve a pulse of the opposite polarity of the center pin to make the load contacts release or latch depending on which pin was pulsed activating its corresponding coil. below is a diagram of what im trying to say.

picking the relay i need -- posted image.

with 12v on the center pin, if you pulse one of the outer pins with a negative pulse the contacts will latch until the opposite outside pin is pulsed with a negative, unlatching the contacts until the opposite pin that unlatched the relay is pulsed again, which in turn will latch the contacts once more.

and again as i stated before......a single coil latching relay has to have the polarity reversed back and forth to latch and unlatch.

so......my question is.....how does that diagram work? is there a single coil latching relay that does what the one in the diagram is described as doing? if so I sure would like to have the part number for that relay. ?? anybody?.....all you old schoolers?....moderators?....the12volt? i would like to know where i can get one of those relays too.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
The relay in the picture works like a retractable ball point  ink pen.  Press the top and it pushes the pen out.  Press the top again and it retracts the pen.  The relay works the same way.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
i understand thats what the diagram says it does. heres the problem.....i've never seen a relay like that, and dont think it exists, so.......whats the part number? where can i find one? if its out there i'd like to have about a dozen or so.(seriously)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic