where to mount the valet button?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slashman 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I'm nearing the end of a Viper 791XV alarm in my vehicle, now one thing I’m unsure about is where I should mount the valet button? Should it be very well hidden so that a thief can’t find it or can it be in sight? I believe that you can set the amount of key presses it needs?
Will a thief be able to bypass the alarm if he knows where the button is and the brand of the alarm?
Also suggestions for where I should mount the button would be good.
Thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 4:54 AM / IP Logged  
On that vehicle I usually put them in the secret compartment directly left of the steering column. You know the one under the dash that you have to access from underneath. Yes if a thief can get to the switch and get the ignition switch turned on, then yes he can bypass the alarm. So yes it should be hidden. Do not bother looking for the secret compartment. It probably does not exist. If we knew what kind of vehicle you had, we may be able to get you a good location for mounting the button. Till then we are in the dark.
slashman 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2009 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Sorry I was just looking for general locations. The reason I didn't say what vehicle it was is because it is an Australian vehicle and not many people (if any) would know what it is.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Oh get real slashman I prance on about the variations we get here and many in North America are fully aware, what's different from UK ? We get that lovely Holden with the Corvette engine too you know.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

I personally wouldn't worry about a  thief finding the valet button - they won't be looking for it.  If the alarm is going off and they want to disable it they will go straight to the battery or the siren - they arn't going to waste time powering the ignition and trying to guess how many presses disables the thing!

They may also go for the brain, so make sure it is hidden and not easily accessible.

Kevin Pierson
lanman31337 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Since it's Australian, well, that makes it a whole different category!  Just kidding.  As stated before, each vehicle I hide it differently, and in the more recent models of remote starts/alarms I've been doing, it's incorperated into the antenna, so no need to try to find a place to hide it.
a471789 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

Whenever possible, I like to mount my Valet in the fusebox.  For example, in a lot of GM vehicles...like the Silverado, there's a PERFECT place where you can drill a hole and pop it into the panel next to the fusebox.  It sure makes it easy if you have to change options or reprogram remotes later.

Brent
MECP Advanced Installer
"I don't claim to know it all, just more than you."
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
kpierson has a point. The valet button depending on car, i will keep it down at the kick panel somewhere. Example on my own accord, thefront hood latch has a perfect place to hide the switch. If i pull th elatch i dont touch or see the valet button. on my moms camry, the valet button is in the antenna so cant really hide it. But hiding a valet wont do much i have to say.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

hey howie, technically what am i driving if i was in the UK?  honda accord

first tim eback on for a few weeks. busy studying

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
Guess what Ted....a Honda Accord! The Accuras are sold as Hondas here, we've had Lexus for about 17 years and we are about to get Infinity although I couldn't think of a worse time to launch a luxury brand. The big Honda SUVs (or Titans) aren't sold here, Cayennes are worth dog poo second hand and Civics are gold dust. The UK made Euro Civic interior is completely different and you never got the S type. Good luck with exams etc.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic