icon

how do i get my power cord to the battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fiercekk 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2006 chevy impala and im trying to get my power cord from my amp through the fire wall to the battery. whats the best way to do that. i have all my cords conectted to the subs and amp but dont know how to get the power cord to the battery in an 06 impala
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
Where is the battery in that vehicle?  Assuming it's in the engine compartment, you need to find the factory grommet through the firewall and see if you can find space in it, or you'll need to drill a new opening through the firewall and properly insulate it and seal it.  If you've never done this before getting help from a pro would be the safest way to go.
Support the12volt.com
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2009 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

Based on this question I'm going to assume you are a complete newbie to installation.  I don't mean to offend you, and if I did I appologize.

That being said, there really isn't a "right" way to do it - you just need to find a way.  The best way is to route the wire through an opening in the firewall that protects the wire from rubbing against the metal firewall.  This can be done through an OEM grommet if one exists, or you can drill a hole AND add a grommet.  Do NOT drill a hole and run the wire through it without putting something in the hole to protect the wire.

I've seen people route the wire through their door jam - I don't recomend this route as it looks extremely ugly and hidious and everything else, but it does work.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW is to fuse the wire within 12" of the battery.  If you don't have a fuse or a fuse holder do NOT hook the wire up, no matter how you get the wire to the battery.  If you don't understand this seek professional help because if the fuse isn't installed and your power wire shorts out your car will catch on fire and will be destroyed.

Kevin Pierson
dawggboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
in the few installs ive helped on or have actually done one good place is usually the grommet for the antennae if you can find it.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
fiercekk wrote:
I have a 2006 chevy impala and im trying to get my power cord from my amp through the fire wall to the battery. whats the best way to do that. i have all my cords conectted to the subs and amp but dont know how to get the power cord to the battery in an 06 impala
if you drill, use a step bit and CHECK WHERE YOU DRILL on both sides of the firewall using shapes and "landmarks" on bith sides of the firewall to make sure you know exactly where you are drilling. trust me you dont want a hole in your brake booster or chop up a wire harness. if all else fails you CAN run it through the door jamb BUT keep it as far away from the door hinges as possible. if you dont have a grommet dont drill
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

pass the wire thru the firewall on the same side as the battery........... .this keeps the power wire as short as possible

dawggboy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2009 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
if all else fails another safe place to go would be to pull the fender off the side of the car you want to run the wire and drill in the fenderwell rarely do i find wires there.
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
If you do decide to drill through the firewall, you can get a firewall bushing for the wire gauge size your using as your power wire. I found mine at streetwires. These are water tight and are much easier to use than trying to find a grommet to fit the hole you just cut and filed smooth. Here is the link: Streetwires Firewall Brushing
fiercekk 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

yea im a total newbie for this. i found were all the wires leave on the passenger side and its held in by a huge rubber stop so i tried getting that off but its not coming off. so im going to jack up the car and see what is on the other side of that rubber stop and see if i can drill through.

thanks for all the helo

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Do NOT drill through the grommet - poke through it.  Even if you have to get a metal coat hanger and force it through.

If you drill there is a very good chance the bit will grab some wires - the last thing you want is to nick some wires inside the loom (or even worse break some wires).

Poking through the grommet is much safer!

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic