icon

ford starter stops cranking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nei00755 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
I have done a few Ford SUV and trucks. Everyone of them has trouble starting when it is below zero. When they have to crank hard, it only cranks for 1 sec or so. It tries the 3 times and sometimes it will start and sometimes it will not. I have it on tach not voltage sense. I know I can adjust cranking time on voltage sense but I thought that was the point of using the tach, it would be automatic. My GM vehicles keep cranking until it starts, no matter how cold. Is this a Ford issue in there computer, or is there something I can adjust. Anyone else run into this same problem? I install Viper 571xv's in all vehicles.
Thanks
Jeff
audifive 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

what method of bypassing the immobilizer are you using?  if you are using the key in the box style, make sure its a quality one.  whenever i used a cheap one in a ford, and the weather got extremely cold, the bypass module didnt pick up the signal in the key.  i swapped many cheapies out for the DEI 556u and put in on 60 windings setting and never got another complaint from the customers again.  i really doubt its a tach issue

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

I would agree that the security bypass is most likely the issue.

I read a tip by someone on here to freeze the Ford key before putting it in the box.  Once you put it in the box you may have some troubles finding the "sweet spot" but once you do it should work in the cold weather.

Kevin Pierson
nei00755 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2009 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
I am actually using a XK04 keyless security module. I don't know if that changes anything. It just seems like it doesn't crank long enough. Eventually 3-4 times of cranking, it will finally start.
nei00755 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2009 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I take that back, I used an XK04 on the F150 and a different one on the Explorer. The one for the explorer was still keyless but this one had windings where the XK04 does not. Any other thoughts?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic