icon

i have used plexi in my box how i seal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ratster45 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys i was lucky enough to aquire a 1 inch sheet of plexi. after some previous posts i have decieded to turn ma subs around and use a plexiglass back . I have made the box out of 1 inch MDF and sandwhiched this 1 inch plexi glass in the back cutting grooves in the wood so it sits flush at the back. any way a couple of questions and thoughts please

How do i secure this plexi to the back what is the best product

I am not too worried about the end result on the join as i am getting decals for the plexi to round off the edges and blend to the fabrication on the rest of my boot. 

I am thinking of fibre glassing the inside to add a little effect but most of all to act as a bit of a deadener and sealant of the box. can i just use fibre glass resin and coat the inside or should i use some matt as well on the inside. I was thinking Dynamat but it will make inside look tacky as visual inside the box will be high.

this also might help I am running two pioneer TSW3004SPL. 3000 wat (1000 rms)DVC 4 ohm subs. I have two amplifiers both Pioneer 800 watt monoblocks (GMT-7100) i have them currently wired up  amp to sub then jus linking the two coils.

advice would be good thanks

ryan95x 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have any pictures of the box?  If I understand correctly you are invert mounting the subs to the plexi side of the box which is facing the opening of your trunk?  If screws won't work with the design I would use some high strength silicone. 
-Dual XHD6425 - HD Radio w/USB & 3.5mm in
-Power Acoustik PS4-840
-Infinity Components
-10" Clarion SW1051 in FG molded box
ratster45 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
yea more info would help i was gonna face the subs forward, and mount them on the mdf not inverted. and then have a clear back and make it lookgood from the inside will post picks this arvo
ratster45 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

i have used plexi in my box how i seal -- posted image.

j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2009 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
One product i like that always worked well for looks is just some texture paint in a spray can. You can get it in many colors to fit the rest of the install and looks really nice as a finished product for the inside of the box. As for sealing the plexi glass. Some F-26 or liquid nail i bet would work really well. Just dont ever plan on getting the glass off after it sets if you use it.
ratster45 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  

cheers mate will look into that and i dnt plan in moving it haha.

ryan95x 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2009 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

For sound deadening I would suggest using some 1/2" thick foam pads and paste them on all of the sections that are wood.  When cut nicely, you probably won't notice that it's in there.  This would probably be your best option for dampening the back wave of your subs without fiberfilling the box.   You could also paint it to match a color scheme.  partsexpress has a good selection of foam pads, but I'm sure you could find it at a number of places.

For a different look you could also use the egg crate stuff... just a thought.

-Power Acoustik PS4-840
-Infinity Components
ratster45 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2009 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
thanks mate i like the foam idea and have enough foam to sink a battleship a. have u used egg cartons and have any piks would like a look
ryan95x 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2009 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
I have not personally used egg crate foam but I would imagine it would dampen a little better than the flat foam.  The only downside is the more obtrusive look, but that could be an upside depending on what look you are going for.  Here is a link to the stuff that I am refering to: http://foampackagingcompany.com/egg-crate-convoluted-foam.html
-Power Acoustik PS4-840
-Infinity Components
ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Egg crate foam, is used primarily to deaden reverb and acoustic echo, as well as dampen sound, but i seriously don't think it good to use IN a speaker box for the above said reasons. Egg crate foam might actually kill sound you're looking for, i suggest using the egg crate if at all AROUND the box, or perhaps in replace of dyna-mat...
Just my 2cents
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic