icon

93 honda prelude no sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nathanh 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 93 honda prelude and a few months ago had the stock CD player lock up on me. I couldn't find the security code, so I just replaced it with another unit. Things went fine for a while, but then a month after I installed it- the sound went out. I assumed it was the stereo because it was a piece of crap anyways, but I bought a new CD player yesterday and installed it. Still no sound :( This makes me sad. I triple checked the wiring, all connections were solid, and everything is perfect. But still no sound. Checked fuses, in the off chance a wrong fuse had been used and was causing strange things to happen... Nope. EVERYTHING is perfect... Then something strange happens, I was fiddling around with the wires, and then the sound came on... but when I shut the hood of the car- the sound went back out :( No sound... But I can hear power coming through the speakers. Is this a short in a wire somewhere? Which wire would cause this? Is it not properly grounded or something? What is going on?
"To be a person is to have beliefs. To have beliefs is to feel. To feel is to be human- and to be human is an awkward thing."
Nathan
02-mti-z07 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like a short but in this situation its hard to tell. Get you a volt meter and some free time and start the long tedious process of checking wires. Most likely the hood being closed jarred something into working. A 12 volt test light might make your life a little easier.
05 mazda tribute: H/U Alpine IVA W-505/A pillar BA Neo Type M's/Doors 2xBA SL-85's/subs 2xBA G5 10's w/passive radiators/Proc Alpine PXA-701/Amps JL 300/4v2&1000/1v2 Power 4 gauge/200amp alt
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 6:37 AM / IP Logged  
Is there a Bose emblem on any speaker cover in the car?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

when i encounter problems like that, what i do is, remove the deck from it's mounted position, and place it a little bit away from the dash area ao u can work, turn the unit on andleave it on even though no sound comes out, then wire by wire cut the speaker leads from the deck, when the sound comes on you've found the wire that was grounding, normally a grounded speaker lead causes that.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
nathanh 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ha ha! I feel so dumb.
My first thought was that I had a speaker grounding somewhere, but I was pretty sure that wasn't the case :P
I remembered I heard a little static coming from the rear right, popped the trunk and found that some stuff rolling around in the trunk had pulled the + and - wires loose and they were touching :D
I guess when I shut the hood, it just jarred the wires enough to touch again...
I guess there were very few problems that really could have caused it, and it was only a process of elimination. Good thing it was so simple... But I guess sometimes I forget the simple solution :P
Thanks for the help guys!
"To be a person is to have beliefs. To have beliefs is to feel. To feel is to be human- and to be human is an awkward thing."
Nathan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic