icon

setting crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dred 
Copper - Posts: 158
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys u have a pioneer deh-p5000ub head unit , power acoustic pwm 19 equalizer and Audiobahn A8002V Amp: 2-Channel  i will be using the am for my pioneer TWS 256c 10 inch suboofer. what would be the best crossover setting because all three equipents have crossovers i done know how to set em.

Also i would like to know how would set the over all systerm crossover HPF for the speaker and tweeters.

dre
02-mti-z07 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
having the type of speakers would help.
I would use the EQ to set the xover settings of each channel IMO
what I like to use is find the frequency response in hertz of the speakers themselves and then set the HP filter to 5 hz or so above the low frequency the speaker is capable of playing. If you have slope on the EQ then you could put it at 24 or 30 to cut the frequencies hard below whatever you set the hp xover to. This keeps the speaker from playing frequencies out of its range. or you could set the hp filter higher up hertz wise and use a softer slope like an 18 or a 12 or even a 6 its really personal preference here...listen to it and find out what you like.
the sub it says is capable of producing 18 to 600 hz. You could set the HP filter for it at around 22hz with a steep slope like 30 or 24 and you could set the LP filter technically at 590 with a steep slope too. I have noticed the higher frequencies that a sub can play can make the bass muddy because it is playing too much into the midbass category so if it was me I would set the LP filter at 200 with a mild slope 6 or 12 or 18. Play around with it.
Type of music makes a difference too. I have noticed with rap setting the LP filter lower to around 100 or so produces tighter bass IMO. With rock I noticed 200 for the LP filter seems to fit better.
key is try to keep each speaker playing in its frequency range. overlapping frequencies a little is fine but might cause a staging problem if you overlap too much. Did in my system at least.
Also most tweeters I think should be around HP filter: 8 khz / LP filter: 20-22 khz depending on brand. Play around with it and tune it to your preference.
or for SPL tweeters HP: 3 khz LP: 20-22 khz
this is my experience some people might have a different preference.
Good luck!
05 mazda tribute: H/U Alpine IVA W-505/A pillar BA Neo Type M's/Doors 2xBA SL-85's/subs 2xBA G5 10's w/passive radiators/Proc Alpine PXA-701/Amps JL 300/4v2&1000/1v2 Power 4 gauge/200amp alt
02-mti-z07 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
also if your EQ lacks enough channels to crossover all of your speakers how you would like you might have to use the EQ for some of them and then the amp for some of them. Usually the amp is capable of doing an okay job on the sub but sometimes lacks slope control or have a set slope.
I use my processor to set the Xover for all the channels of all my speakers but using the amp for some and the eq for others is fine. I would trust the EQ to xover duty over the amps IMO
05 mazda tribute: H/U Alpine IVA W-505/A pillar BA Neo Type M's/Doors 2xBA SL-85's/subs 2xBA G5 10's w/passive radiators/Proc Alpine PXA-701/Amps JL 300/4v2&1000/1v2 Power 4 gauge/200amp alt
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
dred wrote:

hey guys u have a pioneer deh-p5000ub head unit , power acoustic pwm 19 equalizer and Audiobahn A8002V Amp: 2-Channel  i will be using the am for my pioneer TWS 256c 10 inch suboofer. what would be the best crossover setting because all three equipents have crossovers i done know how to set em.

Also i would like to know how would set the over all systerm crossover HPF for the speaker and tweeters.

Your crossover settings are dependent on the speakers you ar using.  What are they?  Are you planning an all-active system, or do you really mean you need a good point for the subwoofer LPF and the main speakers HPF?

Support the12volt.com
dred 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks alot guys for the help really appreaciated it . DYohn yeah i need a good HPF and LPF point. oh my speakers are Eminence beta 8A 8" midrange the suckers are loud.
dre
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
I recommend setting your subwoofer LP and your mains HP both at 80 Hz.
Support the12volt.com
dred 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks a lot man
dre
dred 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

oh hey guys my EQ power acoustic PWM-19 how should i set the volume control? is the volume control control the amount of volts the rca plug output? becus i have see a lot of  EQs wid out the volume control. What is it really forrr?

what does 20db headroom mean?

does having ah 18db eq better?

How does the xover slopes affect music?

HELPP thanks again for the help guys greatt

dre
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
volume control is just that, it controls the overall output level of whatever you have going through the eq.
the 18db is the slope. generally the higher the slope the better because it will not affect the bands around it as much.
setting crossovers -- posted image.
in the pic where the lines start to go down notice that they intersect eachother. so when you turn one band up or down it has a small effect on the bands around it as well. a larger slope means that the slope of the line is sharper which reduces how much the lines overlap each other. if you slope is not as large its ok, you just need to know how to compensate. if you increase one band up then you should decrease the bands around it by just a little bit to keep them at the same level you had them. understand?
the crossover slope is basically the same thing except lets say you set the crossover point at 80hz, this will not just cut the frequency off at 80hz, it just begins to roll off at whatever slope it is designed to use. so even though you set it at 80hz you will still get some frequencies past 80hz (more or less depending on if it is high pass or low pass) but the output past 80hz will be less and less as you on according to how steep the slope is. in this case you want a high of a slope as you can get so you can be sure if you set the crossover at a certain point that not too much past that point will get to your speakers .
dred 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
thanks mane good info cheers
dre
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic