setting crossovers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
"Also most tweeters I think should be around HP filter: 8 khz / LP filter:"
This is just incorrect. The specs for the tweeter determine the X-over freq. and slope. Second the type of midrange or mid/bass also has a factor. If you have a 6" mid that rolls off at 5K, what's the purpose of crossing the tweeter at 8K? The concept is to blend the drivers together. Selection and placement play a key roll here. This where those speaker response graphs play into buying speakers. 1.8k to 4K is not uncommon. Slopes from 6db to 24db. These numbers change with different applications. Good luck finding that 22Khz LP.
"what I like to use is find the frequency response in hertz of the speakers themselves and then set the HP filter to 5 hz or so above the low frequency the speaker is capable of playing."
Again incorrect. A HPF or Subsonic filter is to keep a ported box from bottoming out the driver(s)or power being wasted trying to reproduce non audible frequencies. The Tuning of the box will determine how high or low the frequency will be. You can have a 1K watt 15" ported with a 300W amp that can blow by unloading the cone below the tuning frequency. Add cheezy "bass boost" or a jacked up EQ setting with the same result.
"Type of music makes a difference too. I have noticed with rap setting the LP filter lower to around 100 or so produces tighter bass IMO. With rock I noticed 200 for the LP filter seems to fit better."
A properly setup system should play music equally at moderate volumes. If you have selected your speakers/amp correctly, you have matched your gains and have placement right, your system should be balanced enough to enjoy any music you throw at it. How loud will said music be played? SPL or SQ? All gear has it's limits. Choices need to be made based on desires and budget. Crossover selection can
provide some safety from blown drivers but so can common sense.
"key is try to keep each speaker playing in its frequency range. overlapping frequencies a little is fine..."
If you are overlapping freqs that much something is not set correctly or have made poor driver choices. A driver might have a wide freq response by not always desirable. Larger drivers become beamy at higher hz. Not always desireable inside a vehicle. You don't want crossover points in the sensitive vocal range.
dred 
Copper - Posts: 158
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
oh thanks again guys. i wanna know  i am using a head unit with LPF ranging from 50 to 125  an  EQ with a built sub crossover ranging from 30hz to 200hz and an amp with a LPF ranging from 40 to 120hz. How do i Set my LPF wid the different equipment. 
dre
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
well in this case, since you have so many devices with a low pass option it only matters which one is set the lowest. if you have one set at lets say 80hz and another one set at 120hz, the dominant one will be the device set at 80hz. if it was a high pass filter it would be the other way around. so choose which one is lowest and if you can disable all the others because having a bunch of low pass filters on the same signal is completely redundant.
dred 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
thanks soundsecurity will fiddle wid mah setting u the best manee thanks once agen
dre
dred 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
hey was jus wonder if my EQ is a 18db roll off and my amp is 12db will i get the benefits of the higher roll off from the EQ. how does the difference with EQ and amp roll off db affect music?
dre
02-mti-z07 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
yeah I know the subsonic filter is to cut out inaudible frequencies...must have done a typo.
mostly just giving him my opinion on some things I had messed around with. I was guessing on the tweeter frequency range since he didnt provide any specs on his tweeters.
Glad you guys chimed in and gave him a more technical run down. My suggestions were just from personal experience.
I just messed with the crossovers until it sounded right for my taste and making sure I didnt go above or below the frequency response of the drivers I have.
05 mazda tribute: H/U Alpine IVA W-505/A pillar BA Neo Type M's/Doors 2xBA SL-85's/subs 2xBA G5 10's w/passive radiators/Proc Alpine PXA-701/Amps JL 300/4v2&1000/1v2 Power 4 gauge/200amp alt
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic