icon

Can't get alarm to go into Program Mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yup it's me again. Still having problems with that blasted Sidewinder 6500ESP. Got it all installed, and all works fine, except, I can't program the remote start. I need a longer cranking time.
Now I'm no newbie to the Sidewinder Line of Alarms. But this one is being a nightmare, and definately no stranger to tagging wires for alarms...( even though on this car, I feel like a newbie. ) I didn't bother with the wiring diagram in the end, I just used a DMM and tested all my wires, for what I needed. ( which is probably why it took me 8 hours, TOO MANY WIRES IN THE DRIVERS KICK ).
Ok. here's what I do to enter Program mode.
1) Open Door
2) turn ignition on, Than off
3) press and hold the valet/program switch.
4) wait for chirps
no matter how long I've held and waited no chirps...
now I tested the valet switch, by putting the car into valet. Switch is fine...what's up...Did I actually tag a wrong wire...or is this thing being Amish...
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
yes, make sure that you have the right door trigger wire.
Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Also, make certain that if you have more than one ignition wire that the proper wire from the unit is connected to the main ignition wire (listed Ignition 1) and not to Ignition 2.
DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
I did that with the primary ignition wire....I go the Door trigger wires. LT. BLue, and Lt. Grn/blk. it's a '99 Chevy Malibu...they are connected to the violet wire of the 12 pin harness. Diode isolated. I'll check the wires again, and go back to the brain...who knows..maybe I accidentally put a diode in backwards.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
Not familiar with DEI stuff, but I know some of the products we have want only want to see a certain signal from the door trigger. If you tapped into the domelight wire it probably switches between positive and ground so if it doesn't go with the door open, try having the door closed just make sure to wait until the domelight goes out..Otherwise you might try manually grounding your door trigger wire temporarily and see if you can get in that way.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
I'm too lazy to look up a 99 Malibu right now, but I think the door triggers are negative. That would require you to hook them up to the green (-) door trigger input (with diodes of course), not the purple (+) input.
DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
well JWORM...I like your style too lazy here's a beer. and here's another, for being right...DOH!! hey not bad first alarm in about 8 months, and atleast it was for fun for a friend, and not for $$$. as soon as you said that i ran outside and tested the wires...but right now I'm too lazy to puill the brain out and switch the wires...I'll do it in the morn...THANKS AGAIN GUYS
KickerHard 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
on that sidewinder, hook up the tach wire, start car, hold down valet. led will light up when tach is learned. much easier
DeathsJester12V 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2003 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the delay in THANKS GUYS....Jworm was on the money...I hooked up the purple ( + door trigger input ) instead of the green ( - door trigger. ) once I switched them...no problem..I then kicked myself realizing that if I would have checked for the door trigger, I could have saved myself one headache.
and Kickerhard...I know, I used the Tach. I found in the past, engine voltage isn't too reliable...but thanks for the advice.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic