icon

need box design for alpine type r 15

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I need somebody to help me design a really loud and efficient box for a Alpine Type R tuned to 34 hz. The maximum height is 15" Max width is 40" max depth is 23"
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
doing it fiber glass or just a box for it
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
its just a box
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

Probably should use the whole airspace available, build a good braced box and net about 5.25 to 5.5 cu ft.  Put a slot port vertically up one side of the front baffle, 3.5" x 13.5", 14" long (deep).  Round off port edges including in the inside of the box, and round off the back side of the driver cutout.

That's not going to be the best SQ you can get out of that sub, but it will be loud.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
ok thnx, yeah thats what i am doing with 4 cu.ft @ 35 hz. thnx. I was just worried about the air velocity in the ports, but i will round em out.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
You'll need to make the port 20" deep (still 3.5 X 13.5 area) with net 4 cu ft box airspace.  You might have to put a 90 degree bend at the end;  you want to be sure to allow at least 3 or 4 inches of airspace between the end of the port opening and the wall.   Port air velocity will be low and quiet with that port opening size.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
i dont understand what you mean by "be sure to allow at least 3 or 4 inches of airspace between the end of the port opening and the wall. "
When I plug that port into WinISD I aam getting 80 ft/s and in order to avoid port noise it should be under 55 ft/s
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
the port is 3.5 inches wide, so the the end of the port that is inside the box needs to be atleast 3.5 inches from a wall. if it gets too close to a wall you need to make a 90 so the entire port will have the same width from beginning to end. and round off any edges if you can.
bumflik 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2009 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
thnx but I decided to go with a port that is 13.5 x 5 x 32". I got this:
need box design for alpine type r 15 -- posted image.
stevdart 
Posted: March 06, 2009 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

1200 watts?  We are talking about one sub?

Maybe be a little more realistic with wattage so you can keep that port structure at a minimum.  The more volume you give to the port because of the very large opening area, the less air volume you have available for the driver...and the worse the low end drop off will be.

Use real RMS numbers and allow higher port noise than you would for a SQwannabe setup (the criteria is 10% Mach or 110 ft/sec for a vehicle, not 5%.  This is SPL, not SQ.)  Remember, your concern for this project is "really loud and efficient".  Keeping box volume (dedicated to the driver...not the port) as large as possible will be a plus in the efficiency department.

Also note whether you have port air velocity valued at "peak" or "RMS" in your program.  If it's showing peak, change it to RMS.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic