newb, alpine type x 12's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:
And those subs can handle1000 rms and will play to their fullest with 1000 rms not with 800 or 950 with 1000 so tell me why alpines specs say 1000 then i didnt make the number up alpine did so stop makeing me look bad
I think that this shows how little you really know...
Alpine says 1000w RMS for many reasons. It is not an exact figure that is carefully measured but just a rounded number that they rate the sub at. To say that the sub will only play at it's fullest level only at exactly 1000w is absurd.
You can't seriously believe that everybody on this forum is wrong except for yourself. If you do know so much then please inform us of this information. I'm sure if you brought up relevant information and facts proving your point we could have a civilized discussion. Saying that everyone is wrong but yourself proves nothing and helps no one learn anything. If we discussed the the arguments in a technicaly manner we can all learn which is the reason we are here in the first place.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

i agree you don't have to have 1000 watts going to those subs...they will do somethingwith less.  the box design has alot to do with things, (ex ; ported, sealed, to small or to large)  the box design will give you the most control over your sound quality as well change the amount of power needed to make the sub perform (less power needed in ported box compared to sealed to get the same output)   the only real prob i see with your stereo design is the price. If your set on running the type x's , then to get the most out of those subs you should run a good amp like the PDX 1000.1.  that setup will get costly if you don't watch yourself. you could get a smaller amp and stil have plenty of boom.  but as haemp stated, there is lots of amps that will produce the power you want.  i personally like the digital design gear ( www.ddaudio.com)  but keep in mind you get what  you pay for as well.  listen to forbidden or haemp. i've been here a while and read alot of there posts and learned alot from what they've wrote

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

Some subs I can overdrive with 50% more power and they will not fail. By the logic of our new member here, this is not possible as to achieve maximum it is only what the company specs the sub to that is important.

6thaveme, slow down and think before you type. You are coming across as a kid who's voice is starting to crackle from the onset of puberty. If you want to learn, stick around there are people on this site that will provide you the opportunity to do so. The wealth of knowledge here is immense compared to other forums. Part of the reason why, it was already touched on, be an adult. Come back, post again as a adult and see how different the results can be.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:
Look here buddyyyyyyy you will never get a system to sound good with 10 watts no matter what enclosure you have my freind...
Missed this little phrase the first time through... I am here to tell you that it CAN be done. One of the VERY FINEST, and I do mean F-I-N-E-S-T sounding stereo systems I have EVER heard in my entire LIFE was a pair of Moondog Audio Horns. Horn loaded front (high-frequency response) and back (labyrinth style for lows), it was one driver per side... ONE FULL-RANGE DRIVER. Powered by a pair of 3 watt (read that again... three watts per channel) Class A TUBE amplifiers (again... T-U-B-E) I had never heard anything sound like it, and still haven't to this day... One notable exception: The Revel Ultima Salon powered by the BIG bad-boy Halcro DM-68 amplifiers (Those are 3.5kW amplifiers, driven to only 250 WRMS power levels. Can you say DYNAMIC?) at the CES, the year after I auditioned the Moondogs. That system was three times the money, though. newb, alpine type x 12's - Page 2 -- posted image. Again, another case of you sticking your foot in a hole that really needs to be reserved for food. SIX watts, and the space was filled with sound. ( A pic of the amplifiers... fuzzy, but you get the idea)
On this page is a picture of the speakers... About 3/4 of the way down, they are the gold horns. (For anybody that really cares, the Wisdom Audio 50" set, the silver ones about half way down, is what I have in my living room...) Here's a pic of the Moondogs by themselves...
Oh, and I might also end with this: I am still waiting anxiously for that other 99% of your enlightenment, as I haven't even received anything from the inital 1%. You have me on the edge of my chair...
forbidden wrote:
Some subs I can overdrive with 50% more power and they will not fail. By the logic of our new member here, this is not possible as to achieve maximum it is only what the company specs the sub to that is important.
6thaveme, this holds true for me, as well... I am running my sub in my trunk with close to 1200 watts RMS, and the woofers are only rated 300 WRMS, AND they are in a transmission line. That's a potential 100% "overpower". Have you ever designed a TL? Are you familiar at ALL with what a TL is? Have you ever HEARD a TL? I'm of the belief you've never even seen a TL. How close am I?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
6thaveme 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  

I am here to tell you that it CAN be done. One of the VERY FINEST, and I do mean F-I-N-E-S-T sounding stereo systems I have EVER heard in my entire LIFE was a pair of Moondog Audio Horns. Horn loaded front (high-frequency response) and back (labyrinth style for lows), it was one driver per side... ONE FULL-RANGE DRIVER. Powered by a pair of 3 watt (read that again... three watts per channel) Class A TUBE amplifiers (again... T-U-B-E) I had never heard anything sound like it, and still haven't to this day

I am not disbelieving that you heard a great sounding system with only 3 watts going into the speakers.What all you guys are thinking is that i believe that 1000 rms is the nonminal power for two alpine type x speakers.I kno that the enclosure is the main factor for good bass response.I cant stress this enouph to you guys that i am in the industry for spl not sq.I kno nothing about a great sounding system only a chest pounding system that will take your breath away.So when i tell people more watts is the way to go if your goal is more power i mean it.For example my enclosure,kicker l7 in a 4cuft box tuned to 35hz.IM currently giveing it 1200 rms and it does wonders on the term lab meter.Now if i got my box metered with only 600 watts half the power my numbers would go down drastically.Why because the sub wont be moving as much as it was with 1200rms.Im sorry for comeing off as a child who thinks they no everything.When you guys shoot down everything i say i get in a defensive mode and start typing without thinking.I would apreciate if some of you would stop acting like you no everything becuase truth is you dont.Same goes for me i dont no everything.Im here to learn not fight every issue i try and help somebody with.

4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
infinity kappa door speakers
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
what do you get now on a term-lab with 1200W? ok, now subtract about 2-3 DB. maybe even less. thats what you would potentially have with 600W. for every doubling of power you get about 2 db which is barely an audible difference to your ears, but it is true that you might feel it more.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:

I am not disbelieving that you heard a great sounding system with only 3 watts going into the speakers.What all you guys are thinking is that i believe that 1000 rms is the nonminal power for two alpine type x speakers.I kno that the enclosure is the main factor for good bass response.I cant stress this enouph to you guys that i am in the industry for spl not sq.I kno nothing about a great sounding system only a chest pounding system that will take your breath away.So when i tell people more watts is the way to go if your goal is more power i mean it.For example my enclosure,kicker l7 in a 4cuft box tuned to 35hz.IM currently giveing it 1200 rms and it does wonders on the term lab meter.Now if i got my box metered with only 600 watts half the power my numbers would go down drastically.Why because the sub wont be moving as much as it was with 1200rms.Im sorry for comeing off as a child who thinks they no everything.When you guys shoot down everything i say i get in a defensive mode and start typing without thinking.I would apreciate if some of you would stop acting like you no everything becuase truth is you dont.Same goes for me i dont no everything.Im here to learn not fight every issue i try and help somebody with.

Still haven't answered the question. WHY would two Type X subs NEED ATLEAST 1000 watts RMS between them??
Custom Enclosure Design
6thaveme 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

They wouldent need atleast 1000 rms between the both of them like soundsecurity just said by multiplying power you can gain db.I do spl so for me 1 or 2 db can be the diffrence to win or lose.

4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
6thaveme 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
On the term lab i did a 144db with 1200W.That was without my kinetic battery and upgraded alternator.Im running the sub at 1 ohm and my voltage drops after about 2 seconds at full volume.
4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, with a 144 you need all the extra power you can get since im sure many other people will get very close to those numbers.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic