icon

how would i imitate this?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
93_civic 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

sorry if this is in the wrong place but i didnt see anywhere else to put it. anyways, ever since i got my civic i've wanted to fill in the trim on the outside to give it a clean, smooth look. i found this picture of what im trying to do, theres also a stock picture if you dont know what im talking about. but i was wondering if someone could tell me how this was done, was it just fiberglassed?

thanks in advance!!! how would i imitate this? -- posted image.

STOCK

how would i imitate this? -- posted image.

what im trying to do...

how would i imitate this? -- posted image.

wiringfool 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Well from what I see it's a fairly tricked out ride I don't have all the answers, but some sheet stock ,some body tools,welder and some major time, would be nice to see the finished product with lots of pics along the way.Good luck and have fun doing it and many koodos git er done looks like fun! low ridin hondamobile 
wiringfool eieioztztzt
93_civic 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
im not trying to go nearly as far as that car looks, but its the closest picture i could find of what im trying to do. im trying to get rid of the black trim on the doors of the stock photo, to look like the one in the second picture.
matt_993 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
it takes some time but you can just remove the black trim pieces and fill with Bondo. it takes alot of time tho... sanding down the paint, then filling, then sanding the bondo, then priming, and painting. be prepared for alot of finish work. any book store should have an automotive section that will take you step by step through basic body work.
i shine yall is just a slight gloss
ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
i agree
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well one way to make it faster for the sanding of the paint is to get this stripper called AIRCRAFT Stripper us it all the time to take paint off to do custom work on cars. It takes the paint,primer all the way down to the bare metal. That will help you out a little on the sanding part.
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
dwofford 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldn't use bondo  it will be too think and too heavy you should cut strips of sheet metal that fits in the indetion and weld it in and grind smooth it is fairly difficult and very time consuming to do it right. Be carful not to heat the metal up to much, the metal is very thin and will warp easily and then will look wavy when finished.    spread a thin layer of bondo over it to finish the look.  the concept is the same as shving handels if you have ever done this or seen it done if not you can probably find lots of how to's on shaving handles.  I definatly would not fill it full of bondo cause it will fall off within a year from vibrations.
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with dwofford with the bondo. But on the other hand fiberglass the holes and using some light weight body filler and then painting will last the life of the car "IF DONE RIGHT". Lot of body shops do this for small dents and things. Looks good after done and it should hold up to vibrations.
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
dwofford 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
i used to have a civic and that indention is not small at all, its about a 1/2" deep and yes body shops do this for small dents if you do choose to go this route i would defenatly get it down to bare metal and spray some very course primer for good adhesion.and i would leave the holes so the bodo has something else to hold on too.  But i don't sugest this at all.
dwofford 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic