icon

hu with hd radio and bluetooth?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderbronco 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
I've been looking for a new Head Unit with built in HD Radio and built in Bluetooth?  But the only thing I can find is the Dual XHD7714.   From what I have heard it's not that bad, but not that good.  Kind of cheap.  Does any other manufacturer make such a unit?  Seems like those are the two popular options these days yet knowone offers them built in.  What gives?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
a good rule that i go by is compare the features to the price. if a radio has what seems to be every feature under the sun but it is still way less than a good radio without many of those extra features i would be warry. manufacturers try to shove so many features into a single unit that they have to sacrifice quality and good design, that is why they break so fast. if it seems too good to be true for the price, it probably is.
with that said i know there are a few radios with a built in HD radio tuner, eclipse makes a good one, but not many with both for a good price. i would find a radio with built in HD tuner and just get a bluetooth adapter for it.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
I would go the outer way around, personally... Find a BT enabled deck, and add the HD module.
That's just me... :)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

I also would go with haemphist. Get built in bluetooth and add HD. HD radio is pretty over rated right now.

hu with hd radio and bluetooth? -- posted image.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
So why aren't there radios other than Dual, with both built in?  Seems like thats what the market wants.  Or am I the only one who wants HD Radio and Bluetooth in one?  I would love HD radio.   Why do you say it's overrated?  It's free.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~111365~PN~9 here is a thread on it. Not to mention DUAL is straight crap and even if it has a HD receiver. I can promise the quality would not be any better than using a quality deck with standard radio.  Its simply a marketing tool for them to get buyers.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
as j.reed said, its a marketing tool. like i said, if it seems too good for the price, it probably is. not saying it won't work, but for how long? if you dont want to replace the whole unit evey 6 months, then get them as separate modules. either HD built in or blutooth built in it doesn't really matter. i suggested getting a radio with built in HD radio because separate tuners are usually more expensive than separate bluetooth modules. thats why i would get a radio with built-in HD rather than built-in bluetooth.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
Alpine 9887 with bluetooth and HD radio modules.
Support the12volt.com
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
Alpine 9887 with bluetooth and HD radio modules.

Thanks.  Looks like a good unit but I want both built in.  Seems thats not possible unless I go Dual.  I still don't understand why a manufacturer wouldn't build an HU with both Bluetooth and HD built in.  Can anyone answer that question?  Are they coming out soon?  Or are manufacturers just not interested in such a thing?

j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Not so much the manufacturers as the buyers. HD radio is not really developed yet. There are not many stations. Then you have the fact they dont reach as far as standard FM stations. So why would radio stations want to switch narrowing there listeners? In time im sure it will change. But till then I will take my bluetooth over HD radio anyday.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic