icon

building an amp rack, where to start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  
Since the weather is getting nicer, it's time to start planning some projects for the spring to complete my audio system(I still need a couple of components though) One thing I need to do is build an amp rack.
Due to some space restrictions, I.E. I still need some space in my trunk, this is my daily driver, the only place I can think of to put my amps is on my trunk lid. I'm aware of the problems associated with doing this, and am trying to plan accordingly, but first thing is first, I need a rack to mount my amps.
I would like to have a fiberglass cover in the end, that I could put over the rack, and make everything nice and pro.
How do I get my amps mounted there? there are quite a few contours, and I'm really not sure where to start here.
Appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Thanks.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
ok first thing is what car are you putting them in, what type of amps and how many?
then from there i think everyone can start hellpin you out
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Amplifiers mounted to the trunk lid?!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
The car is a 96 cougar, and my amps for the time being are an insignia 500W(the NS-P2000) and a Dual AV 4/3/2 channel amp.... "600W Dynamic Power" ... IE, only about 200Wx4 I think.....
And yes Stevdart, on the trunk lid.... unless you have a better option that still lets me use my trunk for groceries and doodie?!
EDIT
Uhhhh... lets try that math above again, 50Wx4
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
y not mount them to the side walls. or you can make a board to fit behind the seats fot infront of the sub box trim it out add some plexi. or do the same with a flase floor.
i would try to avoid mounting to the trunk lid
alex1711 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. You are in almost exactly the same boat as I'm in.
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
carguy411 wrote:
y not mount them to the side walls. or you can make a board to fit behind the seats fot infront of the sub box trim it out add some plexi. or do the same with a flase floor.
i would try to avoid mounting to the trunk lid
the sidewalls are too small, my amps are too long, and there is a fuel shutoff switch there or something, a big grey box on the left side.
So simply, no room there.
I don't want to put them behind my subs, My seats dont fold down, so I'd never be able to get at them if I need to, namely to set gains and stuff. Plus heat, It would get mighty hot back there. There are only 7" between the two speaker boxes.
I intend on bolting my boxes directly to my car, probably lining my trunk with rhino liner or something.
Here is a pic of my trunk lid.
building an amp rack, where to start? -- posted image.
theforgottensol 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2009 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Well if you do the mounting on the trunk lid and you succeed,.. you would need to replace your "spring" ( two rods that "springs" open your trunk for a heavy duty one. I don"t if your cougar has a stock spoiler on it but if it does then I don't know what optional rods you can put on there. There are different rods that you put with or without OEM spoilers. The spoilers has just enough weight that the trunk wont open,.. then the one without. Even if you do have the trunk lid open all the way up and it stays I bet you that any movement of the car will cause it to "SLAM" shout and you do not want to do that will mess up the striker and latch. So goes fourth with having a bat or a stick to hold up the trunk lid. This mode is totally up to you.
carguy411 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2009 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
what if you suspened them from the rear deck if u have room.
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2009 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I have on 1/4" of space between the boxes and the rear deck.
I actually might be able to get away with making a little frame to mount them on the sides, which might even leave space underneath where there's a little slot that i might be able to keep stuff, like maybe an extra qt of oil, possibly a jug of washer fluid or some other essential tools.
my trunk has a luggage rack(GAY!) instead of a spoiler.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic