icon

memphis audio service

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have a possible solution either way,  I just need to know that so I can tell you about how much it might cost to get it repaired.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

We get you fine. I even responded on another site about this as it seems you are intent on getting yourself flamed on every forum there is. Here is my exact quote.

"Why is it that people (and the OP) assume that Memphis should service it? Memphis is under zero obligation to service this item even if the customer wants to pay for it. Why would they continue to support someone by offering service at a price when the customer would not pay for the service from a authorized dealer in the first place? I as a retailer don't have to sell you squat if I don't want to. If I have a customer come in that I know is going to be a problem, I will recommend that he shops somewhere else and becomes that businesses problem. Memphis is doing the exact same thing. They do not want your problem, the problem that the OP created. Nothing wrong with that at all."

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
If someone here is going to offer you a good solution to get your amp repaired, then take it. It is totally wrong though to state that "Memphis Audio screwed you", you screwed yourself and have only yourself to blame. Take the advice given and listen to it until it makes sense. Memphis is a great company and takes great care of their customer. You are not their customer regardless of the name on the amp. You are the unauthorized dealers customer and that is who you should be saying screwed you. Who did you buy the amp from so that other people know to steer clear, I am sure you would not want anyone else running into the same problem that you have.
house15 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
Just about everyone I have ever met that buys car audio plans to upgrade at some point, and having this information about Memphis audio's lame policy, we would ALL have a diffficult time getting rid of anything made by memphis. I do agree that they make quality audio products, and have never thought otherwise. But how can me wanting to make myseff a customer of Memphis be causing them a problem?!?   The problem is i would be spending less money with them than they would like!  I noticed you didnt have anything to say about the point i made about this being just like buying a used car?? Its because I am RIGHT! People need to WAKE up! this is the 21st century folks, the internet is responsible for billions of dollars in sales and then you have someone who wants to "block" you for doing business on the web!! WHY? ALSO the person I bought this from sold me a working amp! it quit after i got it, he did NOT screw me. And i DID have a certified installed do the work so there is no question that it was done wrong, This amp came out of a show car and was well taken care of. This should be a simple fix and should be well on its way to being over by now but the fine people at memphis audio want to make at WAY more difficult than it should be.
Curtis McClure
forbidden 
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

Why not see if you can get the customer receipt for it then? Then re-approach Memphis to see if they will be able to help you or not.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 12:03 AM / IP Logged  
Rules are rules...you can't bribe them with money. They don't care.
There are a lot of electronics repair shops that fix amps.
Custom Enclosure Design
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
EVERY commapny has every right to say "We reserve the right to refuse service". And that's EXACTLY what they are doing - exercising their right to protect their own interests! If they repair the item, (and even if you pay them to do the repairs NOT under warranty) then Memphis/JL/Focal/etc. is basically telling EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD: "Go ahead and buy any of our stuff from whoever you want to. We don't care about our business or the hand-picked knowledgeable car audio experts we adamantly support."
It is NOT the same as buying a used car. A used car may or may not have an "extended" warranty. It may or may not be covered under the manufacturer's original warranty. In California, EVERY car sold as a "used" car will have a sticker in the window (YES, even in a brand-name dealer's lot) telling the buyer whether there is any warranty: That used car dealer is under ZERO obligation to provide a warranty on that car... (It has to, man... State law! --Donnie Baker) Certified pre-owned generally includes the warranty, and your amps were not CPO. They were used. The consumer knows that if he wants it covered under any sort of service contract, then he will have to buy said service contract. I do know that eBay offers service contracts on nearly everything you can buy on the site. THAT'S your protection. Memphis is under ZERO obligation to support you or your purchase. YOU knew that there were NO internet authorized dealers of Memphis Audio gear, and you got bit for taking the risk.
Even if you pay, they are still supporting "gray market" hardware, and I can see their point perfectly well! I have said since the day I joined this board (with POSSIBLY one or two exceptions) "Please support your brick-and-mortars". I truly am sorry that this mistake cost you 5 bills, (especially today) but I do have to side with all of the previous posters and Memphis on this one.
And the lesson learned here? Support your mom and pop shop!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
EVERY commapny has every right to say "We reserve the right to refuse service".
Times are tough. the Commapny I work for won't refuse to service it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  

Memphis is in the business to SELL amps, not repair them.  If they choose to repair your amp they are doing two things:

1. Obligating themselves to offer some sort of warranty on the amp since they worked on it

2. Encouraging people like yourself to circumvent their reseller policy

Basically, the way Memphis looks at it (I'm guessing here), is that since you didn't buy from one of their resellers then you really arn't a customer.  Memphis has no control over any aspect of the amp (and it may even be a counterfit or a referb).  It's basically not worth it to them to provide this service for you.

Your best bet would be to take it to a third party repair facility. 

As far as selling a used amp, most compananies warranties are to the orignal owner only.  Whenever you buy used equipment, unless there is documentation specifically stating otherwise, you should assume there is NO warranty.

Kevin Pierson
draggindakota 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, you opened up a can of worms house15. I have to agree with both sides though. I'm all for buying NEW equipment from authorized dealers, thats how the manufacturers make money. With unauthorized dealers, their equipment might have fallen off the truck somewhere along the way to an authorized dealer.

BUT, if you buy a USED product, regardless whether it was from Ebay Craigslist a yardsale or a crackhead, and are offering to pay the original manufacturer to repair that product, I don't see why they would turn you away. It's money and business for them in a lean time. I mean, they made it, they would be the most qualified place to get it repaired.  I understand that they have the right to refuse service, but it all goes back to customer service. Everybody keeps going back to warranty warranty warranty, but that is not what his complaint was about.

However, saying that Memphis screwed you was a little off base. It's a chance that you take when you buy used equipment. Good luck with getting it fixed though.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic