watts for the buck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry I forgot i was going to be defending myself on this one... well

haemphyst - actually no i just wanted to try out something new. why? Because I WANT TO. and I thought you would be one of the more professional audio people who know that its up to MY ear what I want in MY car no matter what it is... Oh yeah and I want to try Active audio Mono, Lanzar Opti Mono, Crunch Ground Pounder and every mono amp in the world too so I can have a personal opinion on EVERTHING. Do you hate me yet? I personally love rockford I had 2 T1 in a ported box on the T10001bd, Rockford RCA's Dual Twisted... But I sold the T1's and got 4 tens for 100$ less (hmm funny sounds like im trying to SAVE money) and I want the Hifonics on them because I like trying new things and not have the same thing as everyone else at shows. And no I just work 2 jobs 1. for my bills and (Expensive for NO reason) University of Florida tuition and 2nd for my love for this D**n music. And I dont have the time to go to many car shows so i dont know what the best sounding amps in the world are. And im not even saying you do, because i dont assume your financial status from what I read on your forum. and how could say i have all this money and you want me to have Rockford and thats about the second most expensive company out there. but thanks for correcting the ohm question.

Forbidden - I'm Going to try my Swapmeet amp. So i know that it is exactly that and that it is the worst possible piece of S*** amp I could Have possibly gotten. And im gonna make TRY an make that Piece of S*** sound like GLORY. Dont you love when you hear a clear sound audio system and look inside and see Lanzar? and you're like WHAT?! i'd rather get what isn't popular... who wants to have the same subs as the other 30 cars in the lot?... you do... I dont... and thats fine because I dont care... I know ROCK is a beast and head up with power and class would beat almost any sub or amp. But I dont care what they CAN do. I more into what small companies CANT do and how some one like me can make those "Swapmeet" S***'s sound good TO ME. But thanks (its just a personal challenge) 

I am an idiot - well That is something I'll be sure to remember. I hope its going to stay functional too and Thanks for actually answering a question.

aznboi - Thanks for your input too man

I can't hear you!
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

Oh And my T10001bd is broken. But i didnt plan on defending my life about this so i didnt mention that.

And I have 4 Dual 2ohm subs. Can I connect two subs to eachother parallel to get a 1ohm load and then connect the 1ohm LOADS (2 10" subs) to eachother in SERIES to make a total 2ohm load onto the amp?  is that feasible?

I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
If they are paying 275 for that amp broken, I need to move to Florida.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
it was only a capacitor problem or something and he had a broken one already in a garage. very easy fix for him I guess. And It was still under warranty for me but Ive sent it in 3 times and I just didnt want it anymore.
I can't hear you!
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
I always find it funny when someone asks a question and then gets rid of good equipment to buy a lesser products because there numbers look better. Should of just got Pyle and called it day. Hell all of there numbers look really good too!
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

dragon51 wrote:
I always find it funny when someone asks a question and then gets rid of good equipment to buy a lesser products because there numbers look better. Should of just got Pyle and called it day. Hell all of there numbers look really good too!

I'd def go with Pyramid on that one! Have you seen the Max wattage on their Tweets?!

I can't hear you!
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
aznboi3644 wrote:
Efficiency drops as the load on the amplifier drops.
Efficiency drops as the load INCREASES, not decreases...
aznboi3644 wrote:
Amplifiers are much more efficient at 4 ohms than at 1 ohm.
1 ohm is a greater LOAD than 4 ohms.
I know you knew this... watts for the buck - Page 2 -- posted image.
Regardless... Directed to the OP, the amp you have "traded up to" was not a trade up. You threw good money after bad... Seriously. Another perfect example of an unsuspecting audio buyer being duped COMPLETELY by inflated and FALSE power numbers. Good luck with your very bad decision. Now, since you seem to be independently wealthy, how about throwing a few hundred my way, so I can make my house payment?
thats what I meant to say lol...thanks haem
Custom Enclosure Design
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
rfhvhtoo wrote:
haemphyst - actually no i just wanted to try out something new. why? Because I WANT TO. and I thought you would be one of the more professional audio people who know that its up to MY ear what I want in MY car no matter what it is...
It IS up you your ear. Nobody ever said it WASN'T. ...BUT, in my defense, you were specifically asking about getting the most watts for your dollar, NOT "what amps sound the best for my money", and we all were doing nothing to dissuade you from that, we were suggesting that you already HAD the most real-world watts for your dollar. Buying based on inflated numbers, just because it sounds like it's a good dollar is NOT wise, financially. When buying amplifiers, I know that I am very wary about inflated specifications. "If it sounds like too good a deal, it probably ISN'T." It also isn't about getting the most power for you cash, but consider distortion, efficiency, longevity... I would have had the Rockford repaired.
rfhvhtoo wrote:
Oh yeah and I want to try Active audio Mono, Lanzar Opti Mono, Crunch Ground Pounder and every mono amp in the world too so I can have a personal opinion on EVERTHING. Do you hate me yet?
No, I don't hate you at all. I do, however, take small exception to the fact that you respond to me in this manner, when I wasn't doing anything but trying to help, based on the information provided. Had you told us in the beginning EVERYTHING, including the part about "because I want to", I know that I would have dropped it right there. As a professional (a professional no longer in this specific industry) I feel it is my job to be certain that the customer gets the best that he can for the money he wants to spend, and you had already done that with the RF.
rfhvhtoo wrote:
I personally love rockford I had 2 T1 in a ported box on the T10001bd, Rockford RCA's Dual Twisted... But I sold the T1's and got 4 tens for 100$ less (hmm funny sounds like im trying to SAVE money) and I want the Hifonics on them because I like trying new things and not have the same thing as everyone else at shows.
But if you bought one item, based on no research (and I am not saying that you didn't do any research - I can't speak to that in the case of the T1's) and then had to "throw them away", to buy something else after researching, then you can't be money ahead. Do you understand that this is how I was seeing your situation with the amps? You hadn't informed us that there was somebody buying your broken EXISTING amp for almost the same money as you were going to spend on your new equipment. Knowing this information now, what you did ISN'T as bad a choice.
rfhvhtoo wrote:
And no I just work 2 jobs 1. for my bills and (Expensive for NO reason) University of Florida tuition and 2nd for my love for this D**n music. And I dont have the time to go to many car shows so i dont know what the best sounding amps in the world are. And im not even saying you do, because i dont assume your financial status from what I read on your forum. and how could say i have all this money and you want me to have Rockford and thats about the second most expensive company out there. but thanks for correcting the ohm question.
I understand the multiple jobs... I do. I work sometimes 80 to 100 hours a week between all of the jobs I have... I get paychecks from three regular places and I do my own free-lance PC service and consulting on the side. I don't get weekends to myself. My wife is ready to leave because the house in poor repair, (and generally a mess inside from all of the computers) and I won't fix anything because I am too busy trying to make money to KEEP the house. (I can't win...) My comment was not a comment on your financial status, it was a jab, and now that I have more information regarding the reasoning behind your amp swaps, perhaps it was an unnecessary jab.
Anyway, I've said my piece, and I apologize for the tone of some of my responses.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
rfhvhtoo wrote:

I'm sorry I forgot i was going to be defending myself on this one... well

Forbidden - I'm Going to try my Swapmeet amp. So i know that it is exactly that and that it is the worst possible piece of S*** amp I could Have possibly gotten. And im gonna make TRY an make that Piece of S*** sound like GLORY. Dont you love when you hear a clear sound audio system and look inside and see Lanzar? and you're like WHAT?! i'd rather get what isn't popular... who wants to have the same subs as the other 30 cars in the lot?... you do... I dont... and thats fine because I dont care... I know ROCK is a beast and head up with power and class would beat almost any sub or amp. But I dont care what they CAN do. I more into what small companies CANT do and how some one like me can make those "Swapmeet" S***'s sound good TO ME. But thanks (its just a personal challenge) 

"And that swapmeet amp you just bought will never make the power it claims to make but the Rockford will always make far more than it was rated. You just made one of the worst decisions you could possibly have made. If you wanted a high wattage amp, take a felt pen and mark 5000w on your Rockford as that is what all those swapmeet amps you listed have certainly done."

Exactly where did I call it a POS? Or are you interpreting things wrong (like the wattage claims of these amps for example) Good for you to try and make it sound like GLORY, when it starts clipping all over the map and takes out speakers as you are trying to get the power it is "claiming to make" out of it, now you are going to be replacing speakers as well. In my 22 years in this industry I have not seen one, let me make that clear to you, NOT ONE higher end install completed with flea market equipment. NOTICE the key word of EQUIPMENT, it takes more than flea market amps to get good sound.

If you want good sound, yes it can be done with flea market amplification, but you had better have good speakers and a solid source. If you want to experiment, great, go ahead. I have 22 years of experimentation behind me to put more than ample judgement forth as solid advice. Haemburgler has similar years of experience as well. You asked for advice, you got advice and it was not what you wanted to hear and then chose to whine about it. 

Personally, I would get the Rockford amp repaired as well.  I and others on this site know that we can make a swapmeet amp perform just fine as well, within it's limitations. Those limitations are going to be the difference between what  you call Glory and we call a true listening experience.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

omg yeah that Subwoofer question was horrible... I drew it out and its just impossible.. And ok guys I understand I didnt make the best decision. But Im gonna live with it. Im a Pro-Rockford Fan. I dont have Pro Rockford Money. So now I know not to get into a conversation about rockford fosgate on here if im not buying it watts for the buck - Page 2 -- posted image. Thanks though and I hope to see your cars on youtube because thats about as close as im going to get to a carshow.

and Haemphyst yeah i know I could have added alot more detail to the story I just didnt think i was going to get dug into by so many. I was just letting the thread know what my decision was and I got RIPPED. And i also could have added that i am a person of adventure and wanting to try out many more brands than I can afford. More for just the experiance with different companies because i love having personal opinions about this music. I know rockford is a beast. I had it 6 months and It was amazing. Now that it has a minor capacitor problem that I myself cannot fix, but he told me how minor it was and i mean the amp is literally 6 months old born December 17th, 2008. and pushing out a solid 1200wrms @1ohm (in perfect conditions). So it was either my broken amp he could fix or 450$ from the local shop. so it was still somewhat of a deal for him and me.

So i know according to many I have made a bad decision but according to my small gain of experiance it's worth it. If im not satisfied then ill probably sell it and go for a different brand (after a couple paychecks). or maybe even back to rock (depending on the prices by then...they never let up).

I could have sworn Hifonics was a decent company though. IIs there any company matching up to Rockford? Thats not as expensive? 

I can't hear you!
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic