icon

extending remote start wires?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ek4kid 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
iv searched and have come up with multiple replies as its Not ok to extend the remote start wires (starter/accesory/ignition wires) because it may cause some overload? BUT iv seen some people say its ok to extend the wires?
im using a compustar 2w8000fmr, and i wanna extend the wires because i wanna hide the brain somewhere far like quarter panel/under seat. but those wires are too short.
also i think im ok to extend the smaller thinner wires correct?
thanks in advance, Jay
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
it's ok,provided you use the same gauge of the the wires you're extending,
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
ohh yeah forsure im gunna look for the same gauge wires as the starter/acc/ign wires.. they are pretty thick soo i wasnt sure about extending. but thanks a lot for clearing that up!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2009 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
oh and solder your joints and your connections on the heavy gauge wires to the car,
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 4:19 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, you should use a heavier gauge wire. I would recommend 10ga for your specific installation.
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not familiar with that particular alarm so I don't know if it has built in relays or external relays, but in either case I would run small wires between the brain and the dash and then install relays for each high current signal under the dash.

If the relays are external you can just extend the coil wires.

It would end up being a lot cleaner install instead of having a bunch of 10-12 awg wires running all over the car!

Kevin Pierson
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 5:04 AM / IP Logged  
sooo wich ones is correct? lol iv seen t&t tech reply a lot to peoples questions.
KPierson- i belive my alarm has external relays for starter kill/remote start. i havnt looked at my alarm in about a year haha i forget.. but im pretty sure its external relays. i think two of them for that matter. sooo your saying i Should run relays with the relays?
im kinda leaning towards just extending them if that doesnt put any extra load onto the brain itself? so now, Should i use a heavier gauge wire? or would the same gauge as the original starter/kill wires be ok? if not i just need one answer.. haha, thanks for the replies guy's though. but im just going with one, and wich ever one is the safest, as i dont wanna blow up my alarm and dish out another $300.
thanx again guys,
jay
KPierson 
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 5:15 AM / IP Logged  

If they are external you just mount them under the dash and extend the small wires that control them.  If they are internal then you have to add a few more.  The advantage here is that you don't have to worry about wire size issues.

You won't get one answer to this question because this isn't standard practice.  There are too many unknown variables.  If you want to determine the "correct" answer you would need to take current draw measurements off of each wire you are trying to power and then find a wire with enough ampacity and minimal voltage drop for the loads you are working with.

However, in general, when extending large wires, it is good practice to size them up one guage.  You will also need to really think about the size of the power wire you are using, as it too may need to be resized.  Again, ampacity and voltage drop will be your two points you need to control.

Kevin Pierson
ek4kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

If they are external you just mount them under the dash and extend the small wires that control them.  If they are internal then you have to add a few more.  The advantage here is that you don't have to worry about wire size issues.

im pretty sure they are 2 external relays, can i just extend em with the same size? i ddnt quite get your reply sorry. and im still a noob i dont really know how to figure out currents and amps..etc.
so i was kinda looking for the simplest wich was just extending the wires.. haha. thanx for quick reply man
KPierson 
Posted: April 09, 2009 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

There can't be only two external relays for a remote start system, there are generally 4-5. 

Let me try to answer your question another way.  The wire was sized to deliver 30A with minimal voltage drop for the length of wire supplied.  If you extend the wire, the current capacity won't change, but the voltage drop will.  The voltage drop will be based on the current draw of the wires you are hooking in to.  Since we don't know what kind of car you are talking about (or more importantly the current draw of each wire) it is impossible for us to give solid advice. 

In this case, if you are dead set on mounting the alarm in a non traditional location, I would AT LEAST use bigger wire for all the heavy gauge stuff.  You may be able to get away without doing it, but since you don't really know what you are doing you should do things as safely as possible.

Why exactly are you wanting to mount the alarm some place else?

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic