the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

fried transistor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
    Ok here is the story.  I got a new battery.  I removed the old one then installed the new one.  In the process i ended up frying 2 of my amplifiers.  I have no idea how this happened?  Any ideas how?  The amps are infinity 311a mono subwoofer amps.  No fuses were blown, the amp still turns on and switches from clip to protect, but no sound is produced.  There was also a Jbl Px 300.4 that was wired into the same power and ground and this amp was not affected.  When checking for bad transistors what should i be looking for?  Do you think this is the problem?  If not where should i start?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
You didn't accidently connect the battery in reverse polarity for a second did you?
Support the12volt.com
ragsports 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Nope form fitted battery, cables will only reach to the correct polarity, and i always triple check when wiring power and ground. I have no idea how it happened. Also when connect backwards wont us almost always blow the fuses in the amps?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
you are correct, if the amp is properly fused, connecting it backwards will not hurt a thing.   Have you used a volt meter to verify power ground and remote are getting to the amp.  I would not check any transistors just yet.
ragsports 
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yes amps power up, and both are getting 14.4 volts to teminals. When the amps are powered up it switches back and fourth from clip to protect, and there is no sound produced from the amps. I checked the speakers, they are fine and are wired into a 2 ohm load (verified by dmm) Even with speakers and rca's disconnected i still get the same results with them switching from clip to protect. I dont understand why both would fry at the same time? Could it have created some sort of power surge when i connected the new battery?
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
You are checking the voltage on power when the amp is turned on, right?
ragsports 
Posted: April 10, 2009 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
yes, amp and car are on
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
not to be rude but is the alt still charging?
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 5:13 AM / IP Logged  
Try this on the amp.
Just touch a ground wire to the shield of the RCA jack. No need for the RCA cable to be plugged in. Just touch the wire to the shield of the input jack of the amp. Do not solder the wire to the jack, simply touch it and let me know if the lights begin behaving properly.
ragsports 
Posted: April 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Ok i just went to do what you said. I had unplugged the amps previously. When plugging them back in to preform this test they are back to normal. Everything works the way it should. Any ideas what happened?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic