icon

what's a good battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slap_addict 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
I'm new to this site and I'm having some car problems. I drive a 1996 Camry with a 80 amp alternator. I currently have a Everstart battery with 630 crank amps/525 cold cranking amps. I have a Kicker ZX750.1 pushing 2 Kicker CVR 12s. I had this problem where my subs would cut out and my amp protection light would flicker while using my high beams, car charger, defrost, etc. at the same time. My music works fine when I'm not using any other car accessories. The shop tested my battery and my battery is bad. I am looking for a new, better battery to replace my bad battery under the hood. I want to get a Optima Yellow Top D35 810 crank amps/650 cold cranking amps. Will this battery power my amp and car accessories sufficiently? Does it matter what the crank amps are? Thanks..
Car System:
Sub: 2 Kicker CVR 12s
Amp: Kicker ZX 750.1
Headunit: Alpine 9884
Wiring: Rockford Fosgate RFK4X
Speakers: Stock for now
Box: Ported, prefab for now
Car: 1996 Toyota Camry
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
Get a battery that is made by east penn.  I just bought one, and they are far superior to optimas..  You can get them at carquest auto parts.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

ragsports wrote:
Get a battery that is made by east penn.  I just bought one, and they are far superior to optimas..  You can get them at carquest auto parts.

ditto on that one! get their yellow top made by East Penn, you wont be disappointed.

y2j514 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well you can't go wrong with optima either...
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
optima makes a junk battery these days.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
OK, but EVERYBODY that has answered already has COMPLETELY overlooked the solid fact that all power in the car COMES FROM THE ALTERNATOR! The battery is there to start the car, and nothing more.
750*1.2=900
900/14.4=62.5A
You even mentioned the "80A alternator". That's right at the line of being too small for that one amplifier alone, let alone all of the other accessories in the car that you are trying to power with it. You will be replacing batteries again, so that's a waste of funds right now. REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR WITH A HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR! This is your only solution.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Totally agree with haemphyst change your alternator to a high output.
in process of changing everything
mrdond 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
just curios... I know why you divided by 14.4 but what was the multiplication of 1.2 for?
Be original yet acceptable.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Efficiency. The 750 watts is the OUTPUT, but that doesn't allow for the heat produced. Most class D amps are about 80% efficient, so the factor should REALLY be 1.25 times, but I was feeling generous! what's a good battery? -- posted image.
That's 900 watts IN, to get 750 watts OUT.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bwhvac065@aol.c 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2009 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
i was kinda waiting for the alt issue to arise, Hey fellas the east penn batteries whats so great? never heard of them. can some1 post a link? i run 1 yellow top seems fine but i also run a stock alt so i hardly have enough power anyway what is a rounded price on this east penn battery
Blazerspl
6 rockford 12s
5500 watt pa amp
12.0 cubic enclosure
BIG 3
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic