icon

any relay do this?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,672
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  
You will have to use the last picture in conjunction with the first picture I posted.
I know the Administrator knows where the diagram of the circuit is located on the site. He has retrieved it for me before. I keep hoping he reads this and knows where it is. Maybe he lost it.
The last picture will give you the delay on, and a slight delay off. The earlier pic will provide the delay off.
Try a 4700 Mic cap and a 220 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. I have no idea how much time this will take to energize. I can't add or subtract, much less do any strenuous math at this time of the morning. I will try to figure out some usable values for you today.
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

If you have not purchased any capacitor yet and you can wait till Saturday or Sunday, this will be a much cheaper project if we use a transistor and a smaller cap and resistor combination.  I will figure it out this weekend.  The resistor and cap will feed the base of a transistor.  It will then power the relay. 

stupidpig 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. I'm sure I can wait until weekend. BTW, did you have chance to look at the circuit I used 2x relay and 2x 528T? Just wonder will that work.... I know it is a whole lot more complex and expansive than what you have, but that may be useful if I want configurable delay, like 2s delay on and 60s delay off.

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
I am not familiar with the DEI timers.  I will look at your diagram tonight.
stupidpig 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks.

I have a different question. What happen if I supply lower voltage, for example 7v, to a 12v coil SPDT relay? Will the 87 or 87a connected to 30 in this situation? Or both disconnected? Currently my car's high beam is used for both high beam and DRL (which I think it is running in lower voltage), I'm trying to turn on a different light for the DRL and keep the high beam bulb just for high beam.

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
30 will be connected to one or the other except for the milliseconds of time that it takes to switch.  It would have to be the most ideal situation for the relay to "Chatter" , or in your case the least ideal situation.  I do not remember the actual voltage required to engage the relay, but I think it is near 7 volts.
stupidpig 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks. sounds like time to measure the actual voltage for the DRL. Hope that run much lower than 7v..... probably 5v.

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/headlightdelay01.swf    Transistor is a 2n6488 or equivalent.  NTE 331   Increase the value of the 20 k to give you more delay on.  Increase the delay off time.  Save the file, I have no idea how long it will remain there.
stupidpig 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/headlightdelay01.swf    Transistor is a 2n6488 or equivalent.  NTE 331   Increase the value of the 20 k to give you more delay on.  Increase the delay off time.  Save the file, I have no idea how long it will remain there.

Thanks alot. Will go to get the parts and try it. Increase the 20k to increase the delay on, but what will increase the delay off?

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I have no idea what happened there. Increase the 1k to increase the delay off time.
It was a bit less than a second at 20K try a 47k and try 2.2k for the off delay.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic