icon

2009 tacoma doublecab, alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foxracr17l 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2009 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone, new guy here, wish I found this website earlier, seems to be awesome! Anyways, I tried searching but there only seems to be 3 prior topics on the 2009 Tacoma.
Anyways, I have 2009 doublecab tacoma with a 6speed manual transmission. I'm going to install either a viper 5901 or compustar FT-5000AS, havent decided yet on which one is better. This will be my first car alarm and r/s install ever, but I am not new to electronics or soldering.
From what I was reading the Idatalink ADS-TBSL TI ( http://www.idatalink.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=97 would be the easiest r/s for my vehicle. But while I was doing my research on here I came across some threads saying that I need to do a tach wire for the r/s on manual transmissions.
Is that going to be required for my install? If so how do I got about it on my vehicle since there is no wiring diagram for the 2009 tacoma in the database over here. Thanks guys.
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2009 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
ADS-TBSL TI is not a R/S. It is a data immobilizer by-pass.
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2009 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Go compustar...
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Compustar has a pretty good history of making manual-transmission remote starts. Putting them into "reservation mode" is easy, and doesn't require messing around with the remote.
Viper has been making a manual-transmission remote start for maybe only a year. Also, the 5901 had some major problems and was just recalled.........be careful to only get one of the new ones.
While you might not find much on the 2009 Tacoma, I don't think it's changed much (if at all) since 2005.
Whichever brand you choose, pretty much any manual-transmission remote starter requires a tachometer connection, yes.
But it's so easy on that truck, it's right at the OBDII diagnostics connector under the driver's dash, nothing to worry about at all.
If you're willing to give up your valet key, you don't need a databus module.
However, if you do want to keep all your keys, the various modules from ADS as well as Fortin can plug directly into a Compustar unit, saving time and keeping things neater.
If you buy a new-style Compustar, it has a slot to insert a Blade cartridge from ADS........it's the same thing as a separate module, but it's built in, with fewer components to mount.
foxracr17l 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. Yeah I think that I have pretty much decided on the compustar pro p2wssr alarm and remote start. It doesnt looks like I can just buy it over the counter though to give it a try at installing myself. And the closest pro installer shop to me is about 35 miles away. I would really like to try and install it myself, but I like the idea of a lifetime warranty if I have a dealer install it, so about how much are these compustars running to get installed? Since there arent really any close pro dealers near me I want to make sure i'm getting a fair price for how far I have to drive.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the best thing would be to call a few places and get an installed price.
They're going to charge more for the manual transmission. Partially because it's more work, partially because they always run a slight risk of someone getting hurt and them getting sued.
And to be frank, they'll also be charging more because they might be the only shop around who wants to mess around with a manual transmission. A lot of shops are afraid, so basically, if they're the only one doing it, they're going to hit you up for a few bucks.
I usually get somewhere between 100 and 150 extra for a manual-transmission remote start. I really don't know if I'm charging too much or too little, but at least that gives you an idea.
I would try to call at least three different places and try to get an idea of what the going prices are in your area.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic