amp bang for the buck.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
truebassjunkie7 wrote:
If it says 2OHM stable then It isnt real class D. It is mosfet technology. A real class D amp wont get hot @ low OHMs, And can run 1 OHM no problem. With a mono mosfet amp you are limited due to the OHM load!!
Do you even know what a mosfet is??
Custom Enclosure Design
truebassjunkie7 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i admit that i was wrong about the class D thing. I never had a problem with thermal on a amp that was 1 ohm stable.
amp bang for the buck. - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image. fatmat- clarion                    
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
And...? I've seen DOZENS of MOSFET based amplifiers that were .5 ohm stable, the original Orion 225HCCA comes to mind. Even as hot as that beast ran, it was still stable at that impedance. I personally ran mine at .25 ohms per channel! It required forced cooling at loads like that, but it never shut down. Four Red Line 4-ohm DVC 12's, bridged! I swapped the original 12G amp bang for the buck. - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image. power cable for an 8G, and it ran like a top. (Ahhh, the good old days, when amps were AMPS, and Audiobahn was scared!) Back then, Class D was in it's VERY infancy... Likely still on the drawing board.
My apologies for calling you out like I did; I hate generalizations, and I am not afraid to call people out when they are wrong.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
truebassjunkie7 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
I am not scared to admit that i was wrong, that part of being a man lol. I know that i will get the best advice on this site.
ken_woofers. 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
so... anyways. I ended up getting a 2 channel kenwood that runs 500 watt to a svc bridged, bridging the subs in parallel and I got some pretty nice thump. now theres another problem. I can only turn them to about +3 with medium volume on my headunit (runs from -10 to +10) before the inline fuse in the 4 guage power for my amp blows. Does this mean I need a thicked power chord? Or is my amp not meant to put out that kind of power. If Im right...which I may not be, the wiring should only put 250 max on each sub which are rated at 300 rms. Shouldnt be a problem..but it is? Maybe Im wrong. HALP.
Serielle Verkabelung
sappy31 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
well if your kenwood is a 2 channel amp and it is rated at 500 watts in 4 ohm mono but you are driving it into a 2 ohm mono load by parralleling your 2 subs. if this is correct and you keep blowing your fuse then it may only be rated at 4 ohm mono and not 2ohm mono, by running it at 2 ohm mono and it isnt designed for this load then this is the reason for your fuse blowing. try taking it back to a 4 ohm mono load with just the 1 woofer and see what happens to the fuse. if it does not blow then you know you can only run it at 4 ohm mono. so either just use the one sub or use 1 sub per channel. most amps that are 2 channel will only do a 4 ohm mono load. NOT all of them but most of them.
John
truebassjunkie7 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 3:50 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if i could run 3 12's of a mono amp? and at what ohm will it be? It is 1 ohm stable. and the subs are dual 4 ohm.thanks
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

Yes you can run 3 Dual 4s on a 1 ohm stable amp.  Your outcome will be 2.66 ohms. 

Option 1 (series/parallel) = 2.67 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 2 or 1 ohm mono
amp bang for the buck. - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

ken_woofers. 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
my problem is not the resistance. the amp is stable at that load. only when I push the subs volume is there a possibility of that fuse blowing, and they get pretty damn loud before that. is kenwood wrong about the resistance rating? or am I wrong, with something... read up for specifications.
Serielle Verkabelung
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic