icon

amp overheating, fuse blowing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rpowers 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 dodge neon SE, and i bought a pyle dryver / mosfet bridgeable amplifier. and i also bought a MA Audio MA180XE 18" 1100W Competition Subwoofer. i just put them in the car and if i turn the amp up the amp overheats and the fuse blows. i have 4 awg battery wire and i think same size ground. and its in a homemade box, if that makes a difference. I have 12.41V in the battery wire. thanks for the help.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 6:27 AM / IP Logged  
Unhook the RCA cables and the speaker wires from the amp. Does it still get hot and blow the fuse. DO NOT PUT A LARGER FUSE IN THE AMP. Actually for this test you can put a 10 amp fuse in each fuse slot of the amp.
rpowers 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Doesn't seem to have a problem with the plugs out and speakers unlugged.  It will run for about 10 minutes, gets really hot and then blows a fuse. Seems to be worse when I turn up the volume or especially when I kick in the bass boost.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
It should not get hot at all without RCA and speaker connected to it.   Are you saying without RCA and speaker, it takes 10 minutes to heat up and blow the fuse?     Did you ever take the amp apart and turn up the adjustments on the inside of the amp?   If you did not do that, for sure do not do it now, they are critical adjustments, if misadjusted they will make your amp heay up and blow fuses.
rpowers 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, meant to say that there is not a problem with RCA and speaker disconnected. It's when they are connected and the system running that they heat up and the fuse blows in about 10 minutes.
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
What is the minimum safe operating impedance of the amp?   How many voice coils on the speaker?  What is the impedance of each coil?  How do you have the speaker wired to the amp?  One or two channel amplifier?
pheonixgd 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Its tough to say but it sounds like you might be pushing the amp to hard.
Your amp may not like to low of an impedance with that woofer amp overheating, fuse blowing -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic