the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

kicker kx 650.4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yep... Switcher. I'm out! LOL Analog power supplies for me, baby! :)
PLEASE be careful! The output DC on the input side of that thing (on the left side of the yellow block) will be better than 170VDC. That's only going to be current limited by the input fuse. It'll bite, and HARD!
Looking at it again, you say there is no VAC at the bridge input side? Check for a cold solder on the filter choke, it's the smaller choke on the lower right of the presented picture. That choke is in series with the circuitry following, it's nothing more than an RF filter.
The input side also will have two little turquoise discs. Those are MOVs. Check for voltages on both sides of those, as well. Those will probably be connected from hot to neutral and from hot to ground. Not very likely they will be conneced in series.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,677
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
This is my first experience with such a device.   Learning as we go.  But I am here till the end. 
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
This is my first experience with such a device.   Learning as we go.  But I am here till the end. 
And I'll help where I can... ;)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

terry osborn wrote:
I'll take a closer look at it,and i'll take a few pictures and e-mail them to you.Let you know when i've done so. 120v isn't a concern,i work with 4160vac and 600vdc daily.

He's laughing at 170 volts.

haemphyst 
Posted: June 09, 2009 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
DOH! :)
terry osborn 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Alright,those pictures i promised should be in your mail box,along with a few questions.I am conviced that there is no vac or vdc present at the transformer.The small yellow block ahead of the rectifier is marked 474k\250vac,it has 120vac present.
I checked the choke or RF filter for continuity.it checks ok.
Provided that i understand what components are the mov's,i have 120vac present on 1 when checked to common or ground,the other has no voltage present.
Now,the rectifier has me wondering what the h...
When i check this thing,meter set to vac and i.d side facing me,post 1 and 2 reads 119 vac,post 2 and 3 read 0,post 2 and 4 read 119 vac,post 3 and 4 read 0,and post 1 and 4 read 0.
When checked with meter set to vdc,post 1 and 2 read 168vdc,post 2 and 3 read 0,post 3 and 4 read 172vdc,post 1 and 3 read 172vdc and post 1 and 4 read 341vdc.
Normal???
I've noticed one thing about "Experts". When one shows up,someone gets hurt!
haemphyst 
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
1: The MOVs are probably connected from hot to ground (the 120V reading), and from neutral to ground (the 0V reading). I expect these are OK, and those are correct readings...
2: The yellow block is indeed a cap, (47 microF) and is very likely there as either RF filtering or power factor correction. Can you tell if it is before the rectifier in the circuit, or after? If before, it is functioning correctly, and those are proper readings.
3: Can you provide some numbers off the rectifier? I'm betting that those are NOT normal readings, but without knowing what the part number is to reference it, I can't say for sure. It does sound as though you have a bad bridge, with one shorted, and possibly one open diode. This is not good, as you could have fried downstream parts with AC running through DC designed parts. :}
While you are at it, can you let me know the values on the big caps after the bridge? The two big black ones... And maybe a pic of the underside of the board?
:::::EDIT:::::
Additional bad news... Todd Engineering is LONG since out of business... In searching many forums for the schematics, I have been able to set the OOB date as somewhere around 2002-2003. Seems they built garbage power supplies, and Fleetwood abandoned them as their power supply of choice MANY years ago. Noisy, both physically and electrically, there are many people searching for repair support for similar power supplies...
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Well with 341 volts we should be able to power anything a race car trailer can throw at it.   Seems as though the Rectifier is working fine.  The transformer is not connected to the AC voltage from the wall.  The AC from the wall goes through the rectifier and is converted to the DC voltage.  Then there is some chip like the 494 that pulses that outrageous DC voltage.  That is why the transformer is so small.  I will be back this evening and look at the pictures.
haemphyst 
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
It'll be the same as an amplifier power supply - no, really... You know those! :) Only difference is the input side is rectified wall current - so it's higher voltage and lower current!
The 341V reading is odd, but reconsidering it, I suppose it COULD be that high. If he is reading the positive terminal of the bridge (which would be 170V to ground), to one of the AC terminals (which would ALSO be a pulsed 170Vpk), that'd read 340V or thereabouts, depending on the meter. I don't know how he could have gotten 0V on some of the other readings he got...
i am an idiot, have you seen any pictures of the underside of the board? The big filter caps - are they wired in series or parallel? Is this a two rail input to the switching section or a single rail? If the caps are wired in series, it's likely to be tapped, and a dual rail, with a cap on each rail. Not that it matters to ME, really... It might be helpful information for you, though.
I'm still leaning toward a fried bridge.
terry osborn 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, I appreciate the group effort,didn't realize this thing might be a fubar.LoL..! Already aware about Todd Engineering and the junk they turned out.This supply failed when it was less than 2 months old back in 1998.They replaced it with a larger supply which i've had no problem with,and said keep the failed unit,you'll need it! Confidence in their product and free part's. Woo Hoo!
I kept this thing anticipating that one day,3 men from different diciplines,separated by many miles would converge and restore life to something that was born dead to begin with.
I'll get you the #'s off of the caps and the #'s off of the rectifer and post here later today.
170VDC is no LAUGHING MATTER! It ruined a nice pair of needle nose pliers. Ah,the shame of ignorance is so hard to live with.
I've noticed one thing about "Experts". When one shows up,someone gets hurt!
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic