icon

1987 ford ltd crown vic w/ premium sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

with five wires at the output of the radio, or to the input of the amp, the factory radio is common ground.  your aftermarket headunit may not be, most aren't these days.  you'd probably be best in bypassing the premium sound amplifier.  have to remember where the amp is on that model...either trunk or center of dash panel, at the top.

m

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

beat me to it...sounds like the only wires in speaker harness is the + wires...well, sounds like its time to run some wire...which is probably not a horrible thing...you can use a fairly small wire...might as well look into upgrading speakers why you are in there...

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

It looks like the WHITE/ Red wire is a larger wire that the other 4.  Is this so?  If it is larger than the other 4, chances are it is the ground and the others are the positives for the 4 channels.  Now that you have the amp turning on, it should be pretty easy to figure it out.  Using a 1.5Volt battery, AA AAA C or D battery and a short length of speaker wire, we can figure it out.  Strip both ends of both the positive and negative speaker wire, insert one end into the harness, one on the larger wire (If it is larger).  Turn the ignition on and turn on the aftermarket radio.  Unplug the aftermarket radio from the speaker harness.  Now touch and hold one wire to one terminal of the battery, now touch the other wire to the other end of the battery, it should make a speaker pop.  Notice which one pops.  Label that wire as that speaker.  Repeat for the other 3 wires.  If  all of the wires are the same size, get some help and stick the wires into any 2 of the slots of the harness that are occupied with a wire.  Touch to the battery, if more than 1 speaker pops, you have the positive for those 2 speakers.  Once you figure out which wire is the ground for all 4 inputs, do not connect it to any negative speaker wire.  Ground it to ground.  Insulate all speaker negative wires of the radio and do not connect any of them to anything.   Let me know what you find out.

hynch 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:

It looks like the WHITE/ Red wire is a larger wire that the other 4.  Is this so?  If it is larger than the other 4, chances are it is the ground and the others are the positives for the 4 channels.  Now that you have the amp turning on, it should be pretty easy to figure it out.  Using a 1.5Volt battery, AA AAA C or D battery and a short length of speaker wire, we can figure it out.  Strip both ends of both the positive and negative speaker wire, insert one end into the harness, one on the larger wire (If it is larger).  Turn the ignition on and turn on the aftermarket radio.  Unplug the aftermarket radio from the speaker harness.  Now touch and hold one wire to one terminal of the battery, now touch the other wire to the other end of the battery, it should make a speaker pop.  Notice which one pops.  Label that wire as that speaker.  Repeat for the other 3 wires.  If  all of the wires are the same size, get some help and stick the wires into any 2 of the slots of the harness that are occupied with a wire.  Touch to the battery, if more than 1 speaker pops, you have the positive for those 2 speakers.  Once you figure out which wire is the ground for all 4 inputs, do not connect it to any negative speaker wire.  Ground it to ground.  Insulate all speaker negative wires of the radio and do not connect any of them to anything.   Let me know what you find out.

Thanks for the write up. It started pouring down rain so I will have to put this test off until tomorrow. I don't have a nice shop to work in. :( From what I can tell though, the red wire is the same size as the rest. I will play around and find the ground. Thanks a ton. :)
hynch 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
The rain let up and I got out there messing with it. The black wire is the ground. It is thicker, though you can't tell it in the picture. My iPhone camera isn't too spectacular.
The wire harness is wired correctly, I just had to cut the lead that was going to the ground wire and connect it to the chassis. Stereo works great and sounds awesome. Thanks again for the help.
Now I just have to buy a install kit so it will fit in there. :)
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to help.
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
i absolutely ,positively did not know you could do that...WOW...if i could have all those hours back...ok...lets say its an aerostar w/ head-phone jack in rear...front have positive/negative ...rear is common ground...this same thing will work im assumming...I LOVE THIS SITE...JUST PLAIN LOVE IT...THERE IS NOTHING THAT COMPARES...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry Tommy,  I have not encountered one of those vehicles.  They have done many of them here, they all whine about having to run wires to the speakers.  If you are trying to get the headphones working, and you know which wires are for the headphones,   You can do it kind of the same way.  Only difference is you need to install a 1 microfarad non-polarized capacitor in series with the positive speaker wires.  And ground the common wire going to the headphone jack.  As far as the speakers, they will work like this but you will need a much larger capacitor.  Do not connect the radios negative wires to anything, insulate them and leave them disconnected.

He has an amp with a common ground input.  You have speakers with a common ground setup.

tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

plethora of knowledge...as always...Thank You for making my life easier...

1987 ford ltd crown vic w/ premium sound - Page 2 -- posted image.

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic